+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validating permanent residency when already living in Canada

npjbear

Oct 1, 2015
Hello all,

I have my Confirmation of Permanent Residency in hand (through EE), and am based in Vancouver (have been for 2.5 years on IEC, which is set to expire May 2017).

I understand you can book an appointment at the local IRCC office by calling the call centre, but when I tried the woman told me she's unable to book an appointment and the local office would call (not email) me to "confirm" my appointment, which didn't sound convincing at all.

I told her that's not what the letter said, but she said I should hear from them within 3 weeks of my COPR being issued / receiving it. That time had basically been and gone by the time I called anyway, as Canada Post lost my xpress post return envelope for 10 days (surprise, surprise).

So, question one: am I going to actually get a call from my local IRCC office, or is the call centre indeed the way to book an appointment and this particular agent just wasn't up to speed?

question two: I'm flying to Chicago in a week and am debating just validating my PR upon my return to YVR a few days later, rather than waiting for the whole IRCC appointment thing to get sorted out. If I do this, will I be treated like a new immigrant (i.e., be required to supply a list of belongings, a B4 form, proof of funds etc), even though it's clear I already reside in Canada?

I've seen the relevant page and similar ones like it on CIC, and it says:

"In either case, you will have to show the officer:

your passport, travel or identity document (including your visa sticker, if you have one), and
your Confirmation of Permanent Residence, permanent resident visa, Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ), letter of introduction or any instructions from the Canadian visa office, and
your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document, or any immigration document you have (whether valid or not), or
proof of implied status (if you applied to extend your stay before it ended). Proof of this status may include:
payment receipt,
copy of your application to extend your stay,
printout of online application, or
proof of mailing."

Is that literally all I'd need if I re-entered and validated PR through an airport? Or would I need all the stuff I would if I was arriving for the first time?

Any help would be great, thanks!

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
npjbear said:
Hello all,

I have my Confirmation of Permanent Residency in hand (through EE), and am based in Vancouver (have been for 2.5 years on IEC, which is set to expire May 2017).

I understand you can book an appointment at the local IRCC office by calling the call centre, but when I tried the woman told me she's unable to book an appointment and the local office would call (not email) me to "confirm" my appointment, which didn't sound convincing at all.

I told her that's not what the letter said, but she said I should hear from them within 3 weeks of my COPR being issued / receiving it. That time had basically been and gone by the time I called anyway, as Canada Post lost my xpress post return envelope for 10 days (surprise, surprise).

So, question one: am I going to actually get a call from my local IRCC office, or is the call centre indeed the way to book an appointment and this particular agent just wasn't up to speed?

question two: I'm flying to Chicago in a week and am debating just validating my PR upon my return to YVR a few days later, rather than waiting for the whole IRCC appointment thing to get sorted out. If I do this, will I be treated like a new immigrant (i.e., be required to supply a list of belongings, a B4 form, proof of funds etc), even though it's clear I already reside in Canada?

I've seen the relevant page and similar ones like it on CIC, and it says:

"In either case, you will have to show the officer:

your passport, travel or identity document (including your visa sticker, if you have one), and
your Confirmation of Permanent Residence, permanent resident visa, Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ), letter of introduction or any instructions from the Canadian visa office, and
your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document, or any immigration document you have (whether valid or not), or
proof of implied status (if you applied to extend your stay before it ended). Proof of this status may include:
payment receipt,
copy of your application to extend your stay,
printout of online application, or
proof of mailing."

Is that literally all I'd need if I re-entered and validated PR through an airport? Or would I need all the stuff I would if I was arriving for the first time?

Any help would be great, thanks!
Yup, me too, called CIC help center to schedule landing appointment at local CIC office, been promised a call back in 2 weeks, but they never call, so after 4 weeks I went to border and did flagpole. In your case, it's better to wait and land when you back from Chicago. If you land before, airline may refuse to board you w/o PR card when you back from Chicago and you will need to apply for travel document in US. Port of entry landing is not much different from in office landing. If you are CEC applicant, they will not ask you for POF. List of belongings, B4 and etc. are not related to landing but rather is "customs" business. You don't need it if you have nothing to declare.