+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA to Canada - Can't find a straight answer to my question.

abrrock

Jun 9, 2009
I would greatly appreciate any advice on my current situation...

I would like to relocate to Toronto to live and work. I am 26 years old and an American citizen. I have earned a Bachelor's degree from an American University and have between 16 months of real, professional experience in the health care field (Quality Management Coordinator/Health Services Marketing). Additionally, I have an aunt, uncle, and cousins currently living in Montreal.

I am unsure as to exactly how long I would like to stay in Canada but I would like to at obtain a visa for 12 months at the minimum. I have no pre-existing offer of employment and ideally would prefer to be granted a Visa, then relocate to the Toronto area, and search/interview for desirable positions once I've arrived.
My question is: What immigration/visa options are available to me?

The skilled-workers visa process seems appropriate in my case however I was hoping for a more simple option; such as some type of temporary work visa (not dictated by pre-arranged employment) with an option of renewal. I am not currently enrolled in a University so I do not believe the Working Holiday Visa is applicable in my situation (due to my American citizenship).

I'd greatly appreciate some expertise on this issue. I can't seem to find a straight answer to my question.

Thank you, kindly!

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
I think you still need to apply for FSW or get a temporary working permit thru an employer. I don't see a special privilege even though your a US citizen. Since you have an excellent professional experience, why not start applying for FSW? Once you get it you have all the time in the world to stay in Canada.

CanSun

Star Member
Mar 2, 2009
Its really very easy for a US Citizen to work in Canada. Your best option would be to come to Canada and give a couple of interviews in Toronto while here visiting and hopefully once you get a job offer - just drive down to the American Border and make an Uturn to enter Canada as a worker. Then if you want to settle in Canada - just apply for FSW and you will get your PR in a year's time.

All you need at the Border is your US Passport, Job Offer Letter as per NAFTA requirements and a processing fee. US citizens coming to work in Canada under NAFTA DONOT require a Visa and its the same the other way around - Canadian citizens DONOT require a visa to work in the USA under NAFTA professions for upto 3 years at a time with possible extensions.

So its really very very easy for US and Canadian citizens to work in each other's country as long as their profession falls under NAFTA.

abrrock

Jun 9, 2009
CanSun,

I appreciate you clearing this up. So, I don't require ANY type of visa (including a temporary work visa)? Am I entitled to any benefits (health care) in this case?

I am flying into Toronto in October and plan to interview around and get offered employment. Let's say I am offered employment in Canada...What do I tell the employer in regards to my situation? Also, how willing are employers to hire those applicants lacking Canadian citizenship?

Also, I am uncertain what my exact profession will be (although I have a general idea). Anyhow, how can I find out what professions fall under NAFTA?

Thanks again, you've been tremendously helpful.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find the NAFTA professions here: http://www.canadavisa.com/nafta-temporary-work-permit-canada.html

If your profession is not on the list, you would have to ask the employer to apply for an LMO to hire you, see http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/supperimm.shtml LMO's are not necessarily easy to get. The employer has to prove he's advertised and found no Canadian or PR to fill the job as well as he's offering market wage.

CanSun

Star Member
Mar 2, 2009
No you dont need a Visa to work in Canada if your profession falls under NAFTA. Just go to the US-Canada border with your US passport, the job offer letter and some money(I dont know how much it is for Americans to enter Canada under NAFTA - but for Canadians entering the USA under NAFTA it is only $50).

If an employer hires you in Toronto , tell him that you are an US citizen and that all you need to work in Canada is your offer letter if your position falls under the NAFTA professions. But make sure that your employer specifically mentions in the Offer Letter - the position or job title under NAFTA, duration of employment(cant exceed 3 years), your salary, specific job duties and description and how you are qualified to do the job(your educational backgroundand work experience details). It can be a simple 2 page letter containing the above and you should be OK at the border.

But consult the link Leon gave above to make sure that your job title falls under NAFTA - if it doesnt then you will get rejected. Thanks Leon on that list.

And yes if you are in Canada on a work permit, you will be entitled to Health Benefits (there is a waiting period in Ontario for 3 months though).

Trust me - if your work falls under NAFTA then it is very easy to either work in Canada or USA for Canadian and American citizens. To be honest it is just a formality at the border. But the key word is NAFTA professions!!!