+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA to Canada - Can't find a straight answer to my question.

abrrock

Jun 9, 2009
I would greatly appreciate any advice on my current situation...

I would like to relocate to Toronto to live and work. I am 26 years old and an American citizen. I have earned a Bachelor's degree from an American University and have between 16 months of real, professional experience in the health care field (Quality Management Coordinator/Health Services Marketing). Additionally, I have an aunt, uncle, and cousins currently living in Montreal.

I am unsure as to exactly how long I would like to stay in Canada but I would like to at obtain a visa for 12 months at the minimum. I have no pre-existing offer of employment and ideally would prefer to be granted a Visa, then relocate to the Toronto area, and search/interview for desirable positions once I've arrived.
My question is: What immigration/visa options are available to me?

The skilled-workers visa process seems appropriate in my case however I was hoping for a more simple option; such as some type of temporary work visa (not dictated by pre-arranged employment) with an option of renewal. I am not currently enrolled in a University so I do not believe the Working Holiday Visa is applicable in my situation (due to my American citizenship).

I'd greatly appreciate some expertise on this issue. I can't seem to find a straight answer to my question.

Thank you, kindly!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

abrrock said:
I would greatly appreciate any advice on my current situation...

I would like to relocate to Toronto to live and work. I am 26 years old and an American citizen. I have earned a Bachelor's degree from an American University and have between 16 months of real, professional experience in the health care field (Quality Management Coordinator/Health Services Marketing). Additionally, I have an aunt, uncle, and cousins currently living in Montreal.

I am unsure as to exactly how long I would like to stay in Canada but I would like to at obtain a visa for 12 months at the minimum. I have no pre-existing offer of employment and ideally would prefer to be granted a Visa, then relocate to the Toronto area, and search/interview for desirable positions once I've arrived.
My question is: What immigration/visa options are available to me?

The skilled-workers visa process seems appropriate in my case however I was hoping for a more simple option; such as some type of temporary work visa (not dictated by pre-arranged employment) with an option of renewal. I am not currently enrolled in a University so I do not believe the Working Holiday Visa is applicable in my situation (due to my American citizenship).

I'd greatly appreciate some expertise on this issue. I can't seem to find a straight answer to my question.

Thank you, kindly!
You will have to find an employer in Canada who is willing to get a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC that there are no Canadians/Permanent Residents available for the job and that is meets local conditions and has been advertised in the Canada Job Bank for 2 weeks. So unless you can do that, and it looks like the SWAP/BUNAC is now only open to students in the US, you will be out of luck.

PMM

abrrock

Jun 9, 2009
thanks for the advice.

Thus far, it seems the Skilled Workers Visa is my best bet in terms of what I qualify for. It's not necessary to have a pre-arranged offer of employment to be considered for this Visa, correct?

thanks again!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to apply for FSW, you need to meet the requirements for one of 3 categories, 1) you have at least a 1 year experience in the last 10 years in one of their 38 favourite occupations, 2) you have a job offer (AEO) or 3) you are already in Canada for 12 months or more on a student visa or work permit. You also have to score 67 points on their self assessment.