+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Tourist Visa for Canadian PR Card Holders

vjanki90

Nov 28, 2018
Hello,

I am a Canadian PR card holder and wanted to apply for a US tourist visa. The thing is I'm on a contract job here in Canada that's getting over in June 2019. So it is safe if I apply now for the US visa or should wait till I get permanent?

Like if I apply now, would it create any doubt for the US Immigration Officers?

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Obviously nobody here can ever predict what US immigration may or may do but personally do not see any reason why for a tourist visa your situation should have any impact. After all if you apply now you are employed and whether is contract or permenant not sure would ever come into the conversation at the interview.

As with others countries they are more interested in purpose of visit, you appear to be of good character, not on any watch list or from a restricted country and the fact you will leave due to your residential/work ties which as a PR set odds in your favour.

Ultimately anyway even if a visa is issued then same as Canada that’s the relative easy part given whether you are allowed into the US determined every time by US CBP.

Last edited:

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
As above nobody can predict.
US officials want to see strong ties to the country (Canada). Having a full-time job is stronger tie than contract job, but that doesn't mean you cannot get it. Having other strong ties like family, owning property etc. also help. If you have been a Canadian PR for a long time (>1 year), that's also in your favor.