+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

us to canada, PR, skilled, or sponsored...which one?

laroyden

Apr 9, 2009
hi all. allow me to apologize in advance if this, or something similar to this has been asked before. and also, thanks for any help or advice. my situation is as follows.

i am currently a US citizen, with a primary residence in the US, and i would like to move up to b.c. on a permanent basis. my partner is a canadian citizen and we are due to have a child in late 2009. we are not currently married, but will be (and can be at any time if it aides this process). it will not be a fake marriage, so i am not worried about that. if we were married i am assuming my spouse could sponsor me for immigration as well. also, i am fairly certain i can immigrate via the skilled migration route (ie my profession is in need and i have enough points according to the self test). to add to the situation, i am currently working for a company based in the US, and they have agreed to allow me to continue working for them remotely (ie over the internet) from b.c. so i will not need a job in canada. my work will require i travel on a fairly regular basis back to the states (1x a month or so).

my basic question is, how can i legally move to canada permanently, as quickly as possible? further more, what is a permanent residence card, and is that something i could get more quickly than immigrating? money is also a concern as i start a family, so which immigration method would be cheapest? which would be fastest? being outside of canada during the application process is not really realistic considering my partner is pregnant and i plan to be there to support her, but does my presence in canada slow or hurt my application?

before you answer, note that i have seen the www.cic.gc.ca site and browsed around quite a bit. i'm just unclear as to what path would be best for my situation...

thanks again for your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do an outland sponsorship. That way, your wife sponsors you and you list yourself as officially living in the US (although you are frequently "visiting" your wife for long periods at a time). Officially your status is visitor until 5-10 months later when you get your PR status. Here are your forms: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

A PR card is given to PR's. When you immigrate, you are a PR. it's the same thing.