+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Us greencardholder and out-of-status wife

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
Hi. I'm a greencard holder here in the US (citizen of the Phils) and I would like to go to Canada to pursue my master's. Granted that I get accepted by a bonafide university there, can I bring my wife with me even though she is out-of-status here in the US?
I would really appreciate any of your insight on my situation. Thank you in advance.

Sad me

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hoh818 said:
Hi. I'm a greencard holder here in the US (citizen of the Phils) and I would like to go to Canada to pursue my master's. Granted that I get accepted by a bonafide university there, can I bring my wife with me even though she is out-of-status here in the US?
I would really appreciate any of your insight on my situation. Thank you in advance.

Sad me
Yes, OP1 of the manuals states the following

"Note: Family members included in an application for permanent residence or an application for a
temporary purpose, do not need to have been lawfully admitted to the country in which the application
is submitted. Such a requirement would make it impossible for some families to submit visa
applications anywhere."

PMM

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
thank you for replying PMM. we appreciate it a lot.

just an added info... my wife came here in the US on a tourist visa, then got her H4 as my dependent (when i had my H1B), worked illegally and now out of status. she was on status on H4 for at least 2yrs.

any other take on this... thanks...

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PPM's quote is crystal clear: only the principal applicant has to have lawful status. There is no other take on this.

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
Thanks Karlshammar.

So does that mean we have a good chance of going to Canada through this route?

Thanks again

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The fact that she is out-of-status will not hinder things as long as you are in lawful status.

You still have to qualify for your immigration category and fulfill all the other requirements.