+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen wanting to Immigrate to Canada.

hlmiddleton

Aug 24, 2014
I've read up on quite a bit, but I'm not going to lie, I think I've confused myself.
Are there any other Americans who've gotten/applied for permanent residency?
What did it take?
Could you please explain to me how you went about the process?
I'm in quite the abusive relationship here and was going to move to New York and be done, but I have a very close friend who now resides there and I would like to try and get my citizenship.
I've had a steady job for three yeas, could have enough money to support myself until I could find one there, and even have a place to stay if I were able to.
I guess my question is, how do I get to that point?
I am currently in the process of getting my passport as well.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
It's not a process, but an application -- you need to find out if you fit in an appropriate category, Canada only accepts applications from certain groups (employment based, educational based, or family based); and then there are provincial immigration categories as well.

I think the owner of this web site has a pretty comprehensive test you can take to find out if you qualify anywhere. If you don't, then you could try to come into Canada on a TN visa, which is another matter. It would take a job offer, I think.

Correction -- not a TN visa but a NAFTA visa, look at this web site: http://www.canadaworkvisa.ca/info/nafta1.php

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In order to qualify to apply to immigrate to Canada, you'll most likely need a permanent job offer from an employer in Canada.

What's your profession?

Note that you don't qualify for Canadian citizenship at this time. What you would be applying for (if you qualify) is permanent residency. Once you have PR you would then have to live in Canada for a number of years before qualifying to apply for citizenship.