+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen giving birth in Canada?

Calilove

Jun 6, 2015
I am married to a Canadian citizen, we have a 3 year old daughter that was born in US and holds both US and Canadian passport while I on the other hand only have my US passport and have never applied for residency in Canada. I am sponsoring my husband to be a green card holder in US where we plan to raise our children, but while the paper is in process my husband is still in Canada working while our daughter and I resides in US. Now my daughter and I arrived in Canada almost 2 months ago and we recently found out that I am one month pregnant. We only planned on staying until September but now that we are expecting I would like to stay with my husband during my pregnancy and pay for medical expenses (pregnancy check ups and ultrasound) out of pocket. And if my husband still does not have his green card, (permanent residency card) on my due date then we might just have to pay the medical expenses of giving birth here out of pocket since I have not applied for a canadian residency. (IF giving birth will not cost us more than 5-10k)

Now my question is:
Is it difficult to request and be approved for an extended stay in Canada? (US citizens can stay up to 6 months in a full year)

Is there any way, or any medical insurance I can purchase here in Canada so that my medical expenses for my pregnancy will not cost so much? The only medical coverage I have is in US (kaiser permanente)

If I give birth here will my baby's children (someday) born abroad be Canadian citizens as well?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's too late to buy insurance to cover the costs of the pregnancy once you are pregnant (you can only buy this insurance before you get pregnant). If you have the baby in Canada, you'll need to pay for everything out of your own pocket.

It shouldn't be difficult at all to request an extension to your visit.

If you have the baby in the US - the baby will qualify for Canadian citizenship - however the baby's offspring will not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add - if the birth goes normally - it should cost between 5-10K. If there are any complications, you'll be looking at over 10K.

Calilove

Jun 6, 2015
It's too late to buy insurance to cover the costs of the pregnancy once you are pregnant (you can only buy this insurance before you get pregnant). If you have the baby in Canada, you'll need to pay for everything out of your own pocket.

If I purchased it before I got pregnant what kind of insurance is available for visitors? We purchased Sunlife. I thought my husband only purchased a travel insurance for our daughter (Three weeks after we arrived in Canada) turns out he purchased one for me too, we checked and my name is incuded. I will contact the insurance to see if they will cover my first check up. But I dont think I can pay for an extension since we only purchased one for may-sept. So I guess we will still have to pay for medical expenses out of pocket after September.

It shouldn't be difficult at all to request an extension to your visit.

I failed to mention earlier that 3 yrs ago I overstayed my stay. Stayed for 5 months then another 5 in same year I had no idea back then that I can only stay for 6 months in a full year so my passport was stamped for overstaying. I explained that to CBSA and I was allowed to return to Canada with no trouble this May.

If you have the baby in the US - the baby will qualify for Canadian citizenship - however the baby's offspring will not.
Yes that is the case for our daughter now, her kids will only be canadian if she gives birth to them in canada.

So if i give birth to our second child in canada her offsprings will be canadian even if born abroad?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have to purchase special insurance that covers pregnancy. Standard sunlife travel insurance won't cover it. However give them a call all the same to see.

You should be OK to extend if you were allowed back in this May.

Yes - if your child is born in Canada then offspring will be Canadian regardless whether they are born in Canada or outside of Canada.