+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-Canada Border Open?

aries1

Jul 27, 2016
Hi all,

A friend of mine who lives in Canada told me that the US-Canada border is closed for refugees.Like they are not accepting refugees
even if they have a blood relation in Canada.Does anybody have any info regarding this matter?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It sounds like your friend may be confused about how the Safe Third Country agreement works. If someone has close family in Canada then they fall under an exception to the Safe Third Country agreement and can still claim refugee status at the US/Canada land border. There have been no recent changes to this rule.

Does he have first hand or second hand experience where this didn't happen?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add - I understand CIC does call the family member to confirm they are relatives and that they are in Canada.

So maybe your friend heard about a story where the Canadian family member would not confirm the individual was their relative or where the Canadian family member was outside of Canada and that why things didn't work out?

aries1

Jul 27, 2016
First of all thank you for your reply, appreciate your help.
Yes he has second hand experience and is not sure and might also be confusing the third country agreement.
May I ask has anyone with family ties in Canada recently done this at the Buffalo-Canada border?
Any tips or advices would be appreciated cuz I am travelling with little children.
Thanks in advance.

FISHER321

Sep 3, 2016
aries1 said:
First of all thank you for your reply, appreciate your help.
Yes he has second hand experience and is not sure and might also be confusing the third country agreement.
May I ask has anyone with family ties in Canada recently done this at the Buffalo-Canada border?
Any tips or advices would be appreciated cuz I am travelling with little children.
Thanks in advance.
I've read your posts and replies on this topic and other topics(eligible for asylum):
I know a family just like yours exactly applied at buffalo, they entered probably last June-July...1st: don't stay much in the US as you are going to be questioned (why you didn't apply in the US), and for determination of eligibility , the officer has to make sure that you meet the refugee claim requirements (not only that you have Canadian or resident relative )so you have to prepare your narrative (BOC basis of claim) before coming to the border, it's recommended to ask your Canadian citizen relative to consult refugee lawyer before applying at the border, because as i heard if you fail 1st hearing at IRB , you will be transferred to federal court, and its very difficult then to pass......so Goodluck...your access is clear :) :)