+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US born son's Canadian citizenship viability to Canadian parents

enderr

May 3, 2024
Hi, sorry I cannot make sense of the 2009 changes, so wanted to get some help. We are Canadian citizens through naturalization (lived in Canada for over 30 years) but both of us are foreign born. We have been living in the US the past 3 years on an L1/L2 visa for a work assignment, but are now heading home. Since living in the US we had our first child, and he has a US passport and citizenship. I understand that foreign born children to Canadian parents may not automatically be eligible for citizenship if they are 2nd generation with the 2009 changes.

Question: In our situation, would our child be eligible for Canadian citizenship since we are citizens through naturalization, or is he considered 2nd generation and would need us to sponsor his PR first.

Thanks!

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Hi, sorry I cannot make sense of the 2009 changes, so wanted to get some help. We are Canadian citizens through naturalization (lived in Canada for over 30 years) but both of us are foreign born. We have been living in the US the past 3 years on an L1/L2 visa for a work assignment, but are now heading home. Since living in the US we had our first child, and he has a US passport and citizenship. I understand that foreign born children to Canadian parents may not automatically be eligible for citizenship if they are 2nd generation with the 2009 changes.

Question: In our situation, would our child be eligible for Canadian citizenship since we are citizens through naturalization, or is he considered 2nd generation and would need us to sponsor his PR first.

Thanks!
Hello You can check the eligibility here. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/already-citizen.html

tool: https://ircc.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3pJ5oXgZNBj0r1c?Q_Language=EN

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks!
Your child is 1st generation and not 2nd.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Second generation : born outside Canada to parents born outside Canada.
The question is relevant for your future grandchildren if the law doesn't change by then, your son is a Canadian citizen.