+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgently, having a recent study permit but got pregnant

Aug 17, 2014
Hello,
I got my study permit recently but I am pregnant. I know the Canadian government changed the study permit regulations June 2014. I'll give birth there if I travel to start the fall semester. Is it illegal? Will I encounter any problems at the airport when the officer knows that I am pregnant?? Is these new study regulations banning me from my study or from entering the country?
How much will it cost me to give birth in Alberta?
Will the baby be a Canadian citizen?? or they won't give her the citizenship as I am international student??

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
Freshstart1234 said:
Hello,
I got my study permit recently but I am pregnant. I know the Canadian government changed the study permit regulations June 2014. I'll give birth there if I travel to start the fall semester. Is it illegal? Will I encounter any problems at the airport when the officer knows that I am pregnant?? Is these new study regulations banning me from my study or from entering the country?
How much will it cost me to give birth in Alberta?
Will the baby be a Canadian citizen?? or they won't give her the citizenship as I am international student??
I can answer your query partially.
The child will inherit the status of the parent. If you are not the PR holder or Citizen of Canada then your child also wont get PR or Citizenship.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

usman_14pk said:
The child will inherit the status of the parent. If you are not the PR holder or Citizen of Canada then your child also wont get PR or Citizenship.
1. Do you just make up your answers?
2. If the child is born in Canada, and neither parent is a diplomat, then the child is a Canadian citizen.
3. As the OP will be in Alberta then she will be covered by Alberta Medical Services, and there will be no charge for the birth.

"Foreign students

If you are a student from outside Canada, you may be eligible for AHCIP coverage. You will need to apply for AHCIP coverage. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.

Students who have a 12 month Study Permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage.
Students with Study Permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
If the application is received within 3 months of entry into Alberta, coverage is effective on the date of either entry into Alberta or the date signed on the Study Permit, whichever is later.
4. The problem might be if she doesn't enroll or drops out of school, then CIC could remove her study permit.

"As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

Your educational institution will report to CIC on your continued enrolment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status."

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
usman_14pk said:
This is misleading information.

If you give birth to your child in Canada, your child will become a Canadian citizen by birth (regardless of your status) and assuming you will be a full time international student, you are eligible for Alberta health care which will cover your delivery/hospital fees.

Good luck

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
YES, My bad!
My observations were in light of what I read previously on different locations.

You people are saying correct that baby will be a Canadian Citizen but parents won't unless baby sponsor them after turning 18.
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/enGlIsH/citizenship/rules/index.asp