+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: What would happen if I travel between P2 and ECOPR (p2: Sep 6th)

zhou413

Aug 27, 2024
Hi all,

I submitted P2 on Sep 6 with the expectation that I will receive ecopr within couple days, I have an upcoming business trip in US next week. I'm wondering if I don't receive ecopr before my departure date, would IRCC still process my ecopr? will I get it when I'm abroad? I can enter through the boarder by driving. But I'm not sure if my application will be placed on hold if I leave the country, Should I tell ircc to hold my ecopr now and process it when I'm back?

Thank you for your help.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Your big mistake was thinking the ECPR was going to be issued in days. That being said you have to make the decision to leave for the trip or not. How long will you be in the US for? Depending on the timeframe you could be back in Canada and still be waiting on the ECOPR.

Once the ECOPR has been issued, all your temporary documents like TRV and work permit would become invalid. Additionally, the government of Canada already announced that 'flag poling' will no longer be considered at the border. Meaning, you can't go to the border and have them complete the COPR process.

zhou413

Aug 27, 2024
hi @Chasechs, i will be in US for 7 days and come back on Sep 30.
If I don't receive the ECOPR while I’m in the U.S, i guess I can still fly back, but i'm not sure if my ecopr would still be issued if I'm not in Canada
If I receive the ECOPR while I’m in the U.S, I could fly to Buffalo and rent a car to drive across the border.
Can you advise if I should contact IRCC to request holding my ECOPR, or if crossing the border by vehicle would be fine and I can proceed as planned?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Your safest bet is to contact IRCC to let them know of your travel plans and when you are expected to be back. You can no longer use a land crossing to complete the COPR process (flag poling). Reply to the portal 1 email address and let them know.