+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent PR card application due to professional conference but currently unemployed. Likely acceptable reason?

MaHab

Jan 8, 2023
Hi

I applied for non-urgent PR card renewal on May 26, 2024 as my PR card is expired. I have a trip coming up to the US for a professional conference that I wish to attend on August 1, 2024. However, I'm currently unemployed in Canada as I'm still studying for degree equivalency exams in the field I graduated in before immigrating to Canada. I'm not sure if travelling for this professional conference would fall under the acceptable urgency reason 'work related to your current job'. It is an important conference for me to attend and it would contribute to improving my chances of employment in Canada in the future. I need the PR card both to be able to renew my expired US visitor visa and to return to Canada afterwards. The option to just travel and return via private vehicle or on foot is not applicable to me as my US visa is expired. I can provide some of the required documents to IRCC such as a round trip itinerary, a ticket receipt, and an explanation letter. I'm not sure how I can prove urgency though as I don't have an employer to write me a letter. However, I can provide a copy of my expired US visitor visa. Does anyone have any similar experience or have an idea if this would likely be an acceptable urgency reason? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I applied for non-urgent PR card renewal on May 26, 2024 as my PR card is expired. I have a trip coming up to the US for a professional conference that I wish to attend on August 1, 2024. However, I'm currently unemployed in Canada as I'm still studying for degree equivalency exams in the field I graduated in before immigrating to Canada. I'm not sure if travelling for this professional conference would fall under the acceptable urgency reason 'work related to your current job'. It is an important conference for me to attend and it would contribute to improving my chances of employment in Canada in the future. I need the PR card both to be able to renew my expired US visitor visa and to return to Canada afterwards. The option to just travel and return via private vehicle or on foot is not applicable to me as my US visa is expired. I can provide some of the required documents to IRCC such as a round trip itinerary, a ticket receipt, and an explanation letter. I'm not sure how I can prove urgency though as I don't have an employer to write me a letter. However, I can provide a copy of my expired US visitor visa. Does anyone have any similar experience or have an idea if this would likely be an acceptable urgency reason? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
No harm in trying. Just provide the documents you have. I assume you meet RO.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply. Yes I do meet the RO.
Out of curiosity, do you have way more than enough days or are your very close to the 730? If close to the 730, this can often result in longer processing times and in that case I'm not sure there's going to be much point in requesting urgent processing. If you are way over the 730 days,then I would try.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks again. I applied with 740 days. Now I have 769 days.
I'm not sure if there's much point in requesting the expedite in that case. Generally speaking, when someone has the number of days you do, IRCC will often route through more detailed / secondary reviews to confirm you do in fact meet RO. Note that the number of days you have is locked at the time you applied. How many you have now is irrelevant.

MaHab

Jan 8, 2023
I'm not sure if there's much point in requesting the expedite in that case. Generally speaking, when someone has the number of days you do, IRCC will often route through more detailed / secondary reviews to confirm you do in fact meet RO. Note that the number of days you have is locked at the time you applied. How many you have now is irrelevant.
Ok, thanks a lot for the advice. Much appreciated.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks again. I applied with 740 days. Now I have 769 days.

It’s probably been routed to a secondary review based upon what you posted last year

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-a-“verification-of-status”-while-not-meeting-residency-obligations.786118/

“My first PR card expired 12 years ago. I entered Canada by land with my COPR 7 months ago without getting reported, thankfully. I wasn’t in Canada for a long time for various reasons.”

Reactions: scylla

MaHab

Jan 8, 2023
It’s probably been routed to a secondary review based upon what you posted last year

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-a-“verification-of-status”-while-not-meeting-residency-obligations.786118/

“My first PR card expired 12 years ago. I entered Canada by land with my COPR 7 months ago without getting reported, thankfully. I wasn’t in Canada for a long time for various reasons.”
Hopefully not. It’s only been 29 days. Also, status over the phone says:
“We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
We do not need additional documents
You do not need an interview.”
Status by inspect method says “completed” with no rejection reasons.
I hope those are good signs.