+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Urgent] please help me. Regarding median wage increases during LMIA.

Lily Oh

Aug 7, 2024
Hello, friends.

I didn't know that the LMIA median wage had increased. Even if it is $22 in the LMIA contract, if the median wage increases, should it be reflected in my salary?

Prevailing wage reviews For LMIA applications submitted as of January 1, 2024, employers are required to update the wages of TFWs to reflect the prevailing wage. This wage review, as part of the LMIA and employment agreement, ensures that TFWs are paid the prevailing wage at the start of and throughout their employment period.

Regardless of the wage indicated on the LMIA application, employers are required to reassess and apply the prevailing wage at the beginning of a TFW’s period of employment. The prevailing wage must be reviewed annually using updated wages posted on Job Bank (if applicable). Because Job Bank wages are updated yearly in the fall, employers have until January 1 of the following year to do their review.

The updated wage can never go below the wage identified in the positive LMIA at any time during a TFW’s employment period, even if the prevailing wage decreases.

If you’re hiring TFWs in Quebec, consult the wage table provided by the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) (French only).

Employers who don’t update wages accordingly may be subject to sanctions under the TFW Program’s employer compliance regime including administrative monetary penalties and bans from using the program.

You don’t need to report a wage modification to Service Canada if it meets the prevailing wage.

Consult Modification to a positive LMIA to determine when a change requires contacting the Employer Contact Center or submitting a new LMIA application.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/low/requirements.html

I read this part on the site, but does the part about the increased salary being paid regardless of the contract only apply to those who applied for LMIA on January 1, 2024? If so, would previous applicants be okay to receive the wage stated in the contract? I wonder if there will be any problems when applying for EE if I keep my wage that not increased? Please help me.