+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Help!!

LindaMontreal

May 2, 2009
I am schedule to take the citizenship test soon but I just can't find my passport which is required to bring for the test!! I landed in 2000 and didn''t apply PR card as I didn't travel outside Canada. My passport expired two years ago and I didn't renew it. I don't think this is necessary as I applied Canadian citizenship already. Should I go to the test without passport or not? Will I need to get a affidavit document for not keeping expired passport?

Thanks for your quick respond!!

LindaMontreal

May 2, 2009
Forgot to mention that I have landing paper, health insurance card and sin card, will these enough to go for the test? Will there be interview after the test as well?

Thank you so much for your help!!

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
When you come for the test—written or oral—bring the following documents with you:

the original documents you submitted with your application (personal identification, immigration documents, etc.—for a complete list, see Becoming a citizen—How to apply under the Related Links section at the bottom of this page) and
any passport or travel documents relevant to the four years before your application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-test.asp#date

joogle

Star Member
Apr 30, 2009
I think so long as you can prove your identity, i.e. you don't pretend to be someone else, then there may not be a need to bring a passport.

Read the citizenship guide and see what is "required" to bring to the test.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I did the test, there were people who didn't have all their documents, some had lost their landing document etc. and they let them all take the test but they told them what they had to do before the ceremony. You have 2-4 months before the ceremony to get the right documents in order. Maybe you will find your passport by then.

LindaMontreal

May 2, 2009
Thank you all for the great respond!!!

I definitely not pretend to be anybody else. I believe my landing paper; my health insurance card; ( I have both expired and current cards) and my Sin card should be good enough for verify my identity, right?

Looks like I should go for the test even without the passport. Is affidavit document for losing my passport a good idea to bring with me? If so, how can I get a affidavit done in a right and cheaper way?

A another thought in case somebody have experience. Since I landed for almost 10 years now, my passport expired and I really don't have the need to renew it as I didn't travel outside and have already applied the Canadian citizenship. Will they ( immigration consul) understand and accept it? I have heard some elderly people at our church who immigrated long time ago don't have their passports as well. Will 10 years put me into this category?

I have heard that on the test day, it will be like this: check IDs---test---interview( question and answers), what is the interview part looks like if there is a one?

Thanks you so much for sharing your experience and thoughts, have a great weekend!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can call the CIC call centre and ask them if you need an affidavid for losing your passport. Maybe it's not a big deal. Probably you'd get one from your embassy.

When I did the test, it took a long time to check everybody's ID, probably over an hour, maybe more like hour and a half. In the meantime, they pulled out everybody from the queue who was over 54 because those are the people who don't have to take the test. I don't really know if they have an interview instead as I was waiting in the queue. They were invited into the test hall and some of them were sitting at a desk by what may have been a citizenship judge, I am not sure. I wouldn't say I saw anybody sitting there for very long. After all ID's have been checked and all the over 54's are out of there and all the people taking the test as sitting in the hall, they will do a little power point presentation on how you take the test. It's multiple choice and you use answer sheets for computerized processing. Think darkening circles with pencil #2. There are various versions of the test so you can't cheat by looking at your neighbour. After you have finished the test, you can hand it in and go.

If you fail the test, you will get a 2nd chance by interview but then they will invite you for one at a later date. I don't think they do those at the same time as a test. It would be too confusing. If you pass, you get a letter inviting you for the ceremony where you actually become a citizen.

Good learning material for the test can be found at http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/ Just pick all questions and go through it until you know them all except ignore the questions specific to Richmond (unless that is where you live) and replace them with similar questions about your area and research the answers. The citizenship questions are very similar to that. Most important to know are the questions about your rights and responsibilities as a citizen as well as voting.

LindaMontreal

May 2, 2009
Thanks Leno for the detailed message.

Regarding the affidavit for not having my passport, you mentioned it may not be a big deal, do you mean the affidavit is not very important or helpful? Or not having a passport for the test is not a big deal as long as I have all other IDs? Maybe my explanation could be good enough? How do you think the best way to explain it so they will understand and accept?

I heard the similar story about the test day as you described, I guess that is for taking the test in Toronto? I am taking the test in Montreal and I heard people need to go to a room where to meet immigration consul ( interview) AFTER the test. Do you or anybody have the experience in taking test in Montreal?

Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I took it in Edmonton. I do not know how they do it in Montreal.

I mean it may not be a big deal if you don't have your passport or an affidavit of having lost it. You can call CIC and ask them. If they want you to have an affidavit and you don't have one, you would have to get one. Maybe they can tell you where to get one. If they say you don't need one, then you don't need one.

LindaMontreal

May 2, 2009
Thanks again Leon, it is good news that you think it may not be a big deal without a passport for the test. Pls feel free to advise if you have any other thought later. I will post more questions is things not going well..