+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT HELP NEEDED - Passport expired during PR Processing, new passport requested but not ready

Salqa

May 7, 2018
Received the following letter

Thank you for your interest in Canada. We have begun processing your application for permanent residence, and in order to make a decision we require the following information/documents

Passport/Travel Document: An updated copy of your passport with a validity date of more than 6 months is required This must be received at this office by 2022/04/15

*Failure to provide the requested information within the prescribed deadline will result in a decision being made on your application based on the information already on file, and your application may be refused for non-compliance*

Please note that the requested information/documents must be received within 7days from the date of this correspondence. Please upload these documents to your MyCIC account.

If we do not receive the information/documents within 7days, your application will be assessed based on the information we have on file, meaning your application could be refused as incomplete.

I am not exactly sure when I will have the new passport it could be a few days or several weeks, I have been trying to get an update or expedite it but haven't been able to reach the embassy or get a response from them. Is there something specific I should be requesting / adding to my letter of explanation?

Here is the draft LOE:

I am writing you this letter to explain some points that might have caught your attention when considering the attached documents relating to the Passport/Travel Documents section. Please find the explanations below:

• My application for Permanent Residency was submitted August 6, 2021 with Passport NUMBER HERE expiring June 27, 2022.
  • At the time of submitting my application for Permanent Residency, my passport (NUMBER HERE ) had a remaining validity of 10 months, 21 days.
  • The Syrian government issues passports with a maximum validity of 30 months for individuals such as me who are required to but did not serve in the Syrian military.
  • I live in Qatar and there is no Syrian representation in Qatar.
  • Due to limited Syrian diplomatic representation, renewing passports has been complicated since 2012.
  • On November 25, 2021, The Syrian Government launched an online portal through which Syrians residing abroad can access consular services and apply for passport renewals through the Syrian Embassy in Oman.
  • Upon learning of the service, and verifying its legitimacy, I submitted an application to renew my passport on February 7, 2022. At this time my passport was
  • My expiring passport (NUMBER HERE ) is required to process the application and was sent with DHL (waybill number XXXXXXX) and received by the Syrian Embassy in Oman on February 22, 2022.
  • I have tried to inquire about the status of my application since March but have not been able to reach anyone at the embassy by phone or email.
I am at your disposal to provide you with any additional documents that you deem useful for the processing of my Application for Permanent Residence.

Thank you in advance for the time devoted to the processing of my Application for Permanent Residence.