+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! Changing DLI (from college to college)

Mitya

Feb 26, 2022
Hi everyone, I am in need of clarification:

I have studying at Fanshawe from September 5, I am full-time student, my course and schedule is tough, want to drop it and change it to different college. Not sure about being active student, that had been depicted in the IRCC rules (but I have paid tuition fee, participating at lessons).

Please, can u share your thoughts, It will be really helpful for me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

I have studying at Fanshawe from September 5, I am full-time student, my course and schedule is tough, want to drop it and change it to different college. Not sure about being active student, that had been depicted in the IRCC rules (but I have paid tuition fee, participating at lessons).

Complete the semester and change colleges. You must be actively studying for one semester to change schools so don‘t drop out.

Reactions: Mitya

Mitya

Feb 26, 2022
Complete the semester and change colleges. You must be actively studying for one semester to change schools so don‘t drop out.
Allright, but what if I fail on some subjects, will I also eligible to change college

123js4567

Oct 10, 2023

Hi Mitya,

I would recommend you to call ircc. Explain your situation and they are very helpful in explaining all your questions.
Personally I had some queries regarding changing DLI and called them a week ago.

As per he explained me, yes you can change your college, that is your legal right.

As per I know, if you want to change your college once you have landed in Canada you can do it legally. Here what i asked him and below is what he explained me.
1. You have landed in Canada and for some reasons you want to change your college before starting your 1st semester. Yes you can change your college if your received LOA of different college once you have landed in canada and have valid SP. Just update your DLI, no need to reapply your Study permit.
2. You have started your 1st semester, now you want to change your college. Again you can apply for offer letter of different college. Once you have LOA of different college you can update your DLI on cic website, no need to reapply Study permit. Make sure you don’t work until your new college starts. They give you 150 days to change your college from the start date of your initial college.

There will be no bad impact on your PGWP after changing DLI.

When I did my research, some people were saying no you can not change your college some were saying yes you can. The best thing is calling cic and asking and clarifying your doubts. They are very helpful.

I hope it helps.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Mitya,

I would recommend you to call ircc. Explain your situation and they are very helpful in explaining all your questions.
Personally I had some queries regarding changing DLI and called them a week ago.

As per he explained me, yes you can change your college, that is your legal right.

As per I know, if you want to change your college once you have landed in Canada you can do it legally. Here what i asked him and below is what he explained me.
1. You have landed in Canada and for some reasons you want to change your college before starting your 1st semester. Yes you can change your college if your received LOA of different college once you have landed in canada and have valid SP. Just update your DLI, no need to reapply your Study permit.
2. You have started your 1st semester, now you want to change your college. Again you can apply for offer letter of different college. Once you have LOA of different college you can update your DLI on cic website, no need to reapply Study permit. Make sure you don’t work until your new college starts. They give you 150 days to change your college from the start date of your initial college.

There will be no bad impact on your PGWP after changing DLI.

When I did my research, some people were saying no you can not change your college some were saying yes you can. The best thing is calling cic and asking and clarifying your doubts. They are very helpful.

I hope it helps.
1. NOT TRUE. If you have not studied at the DLI on your permit then you need a new one. See below. You must be actively studying to change DLI so you cannot just change programs.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Mitya

Feb 26, 2022
1. NOT TRUE. If you have not studied at the DLI on your permit then you need a new one. See below. You must be actively studying to change DLI so you cannot just change programs.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
It is better to rely on factual information that had been noted by Naturgrl, you would be better to rely on official rules, cause after completing of your courses and applying to PGWP you can't prove that IRCC agent told you to do like this (even you can't prove with whom had you talk during a call). Better to make for yourself ground and then make course/program changes

Fabian_Kittle

Oct 3, 2022

Speaking of training. On the Internet, I came across an article about a personal statement writing service - I think it might be useful in my studies. So, I wanted to share this finding with you. Who knows, maybe it's very relevant for you!

Talk to an advisor at Fanshawe about your desire to transfer. They can guide you through the process and help you understand the implications on your academic record and tuition fees.