+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update Marital status from Common-Law to Married after CoPR and before Landing

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
Hi All,

My partner and myself (I am the main applicant) submitted our application as common-law partners. It took 13 months before RPR. During this period, we planned to get married, before we receive the RPR. After we the RPR, and the CoPR our relationship is still common-law. However, we are planning to land in July/Aug next year. Our wedding is already planned this year Dec. It means our marital status will change before we land. However, unlike many other cases here, my partner is already in the application from the beginning until the CoPR, I am not sponsoring someone new.

Obviously, I need to inform IRCC after our marriage about the updated marital status, and perhaps request for new CoPR. My concern is, they might restart the whole process again, and take another 13 months to get the updated CoPR. Does anyone have any information on how to go about this? Postponing the wedding is not an option. Did anyone have such experience?

Thanks in advance to all.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi All,

My partner and myself (I am the main applicant) submitted our application as common-law partners. It took 13 months before RPR. During this period, we planned to get married, before we receive the RPR. After we the RPR, and the CoPR our relationship is still common-law. However, we are planning to land in July/Aug next year. Our wedding is already planned this year Dec. It means our marital status will change before we land. However, unlike many other cases here, my partner is already in the application from the beginning until the CoPR, I am not sponsoring someone new.

Obviously, I need to inform IRCC after our marriage about the updated marital status, and perhaps request for new CoPR. My concern is, they might restart the whole process again, and take another 13 months to get the updated CoPR. Does anyone have any information on how to go about this? Postponing the wedding is not an option. Did anyone have such experience?

No I highly doubt they would redo the process, as nobody is being added or removed from the application.
Just a change of marital status, from common-law to married. It doesn't change the structure and point distribution of your application at all.

Buska828

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-01-2019
Did you order gcms notes not find out why processing took 13 months? Would appreciate your reply @hawk333 as we submitted our application for pr as common law and planning to get married soon. Did the common law relationship cause delay in processing?

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
Did you order gcms notes not find out why processing took 13 months? Would appreciate your reply @hawk333 as we submitted our application for pr as common law and planning to get married soon. Did the common law relationship cause delay in processing?
It was due security screening. It was not because of the common law.

glrcapt

Apr 17, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ankara
AOR Received.
04-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-10-2018
Passport Req..
24-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2018
It was due security screening. It was not because of the common law.
Hello,

Have you contacted IRCC about this. I am in the same situation, and wondering how did it go for you?

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
Hello,

Have you contacted IRCC about this. I am in the same situation, and wondering how did it go for you?
I already got my results and approval, pending landing. Contacting IRCC does not help much when you are stuck in security screening. There are many posts on this forum which give some tips on how to get more details about your profile.

glrcapt

Apr 17, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ankara
AOR Received.
04-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-10-2018
Passport Req..
24-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2018
I already got my results and approval, pending landing. Contacting IRCC does not help much when you are stuck in security screening. There are many posts on this forum which give some tips on how to get more details about your profile.
I was actually asking about your marriage. Sorry for not being more clear on that. My common-law partner was in the application and we are both COPR, plan to land in summer. Now we got married. I was curious about the procedures after the marriage. I was wondering how it was for you after getting married. Thank you!

rheng

May 2, 2017
Hi All,

hi, did you get any update on this? I am also thinking to get married before we land, but not sure if this whole thing will take longer time to process or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
I was actually asking about your marriage. Sorry for not being more clear on that. My common-law partner was in the application and we are both COPR, plan to land in summer. Now we got married. I was curious about the procedures after the marriage. I was wondering how it was for you after getting married. Thank you!
Sorry for very late reply. You said you are planning to land in summer. I hope it went well. We landed few weeks back. No problem at all. No questions about relationship whatsoever. It was very smooth. We landed in YVR

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
hi, did you get any update on this? I am also thinking to get married before we land, but not sure if this whole thing will take longer time to process or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
No issues at all. We landed without any questions about our relationship. I suppose Marriage is treated like common-law if not even considered stronger bond. So from that perspective I do not see an issue. We did not have to update our CoPR, and did not get any questions from the officer at the airport. They just referred to us as family :)