+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unsure about what to write for Purpose of Visit for parents' TRV visa application

jptskt

Apr 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi everyone. I'm applying for TRV for my parents and I'm almost ready to submit, but I'm still unsure on what to mention for their purpose of visit. The real reason they are applying is to attend the delivery of my son (due late October) and spend about a month with with us (me, my husband, our daughter (first child), and our newborn. Currently, I have only mentioned visiting me, my husband and my toddler daughter as the purpose of visit (absolutely no mention that I am pregnant and will be delivering in 2.5 months). I know any mention of parents helping/ supporting the mom and newborn postpartum is a big NO-NO, but should I mention the newborn? As in "Parents will be visiting me, my husband, our toddler daughter and our newborn son who they will be seeing for the first time". Like, phrasing it as if my son is already born. Or should I just not mention my son at all?

My parents also came to visit two weeks before my daughter was born in 2022 (so they could quarantine for 14 days after their travel). My dad stayed for a month and my mom for 2 months. However, at that time they already had an existing multiple entry Canadian TRV visa (which they had applied for in 2019 to attend my wedding in Toronto), so this was not something I had to think/worry about. That visa has recently expired. In the travel history section of their application, I wrote "To visit my daughter (name), son-in-law (name) and granddaughter (name)" as the purpose of their 2022 visit (when my daughter was born).

Also, both my parents have currently valid US B1/B2 visa (expires in 2027 for both). I've heard that if you have a valid US visa, then your Canadian TRV application is processed faster. Is that true? Does anybody know how fast? Hopefully within a month.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm applying for TRV for my parents and I'm almost ready to submit, but I'm still unsure on what to mention for their purpose of visit. The real reason they are applying is to attend the delivery of my son (due later October) and spend about a month with with us (me, my husband, our daughter (first child), and our newborn. Currently, I have only mentioned visiting me, my husband and my toddler daughter as the purpose of visit (absolutely no mention that I am pregnant and will be delivering in 2.5 months). I know any mention of parents helping/ supporting the mom and newborn postpartum is a big NO-NO, but should I mention the newborn? As in "Parents will be visiting me, my husband, our toddler daughter and our newborn son who they will be seeing for the first time". Like, phrasing it as if my son is already born. Or should I just not mention my son at all?

My parents also came to visit two weeks before my daughter was born in 2022 (so they could quarantine for 14 days after their travel). My dad stayed for a month and my mom for 2 months. However, at that time they already had an existing multiple entry Canadian TRV visa (which they had applied for in 2019 to attend my wedding in Toronto), so this was not something I had to think/worry about. That visa has recently expired. In the travel history section of their application, I wrote "To visit my daughter (name), son-in-law (name) and granddaughter (name)" as the purpose of their 2022 visit (when my daughter was born).

Also, both my parents have currently valid US B1/B2 visa (expires in 2027 for both). I've heard that if you have a valid US visa, then your Canadian TRV application is processed faster. Is that true? Does anybody know how fast? Hopefully within a month.
Reason is perfectly acceptable. Have they visited the US? That certainly helps. Realistically their previous travels to Canada and the fact that they only stayed for a month or two and returned home will likely help more than the US visa. Processing times often depends whether AI is determining outcome or a manual review of your application is required. Would apply asap given when they want to travel. If not processed by AI processing can take months.

jptskt

Apr 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
Reason is perfectly acceptable. Have they visited the US? That certainly helps. Realistically their previous travels to Canada and the fact that they only stayed for a month or two and returned home will likely help more than the US visa. Processing times often depends whether AI is determining outcome or a manual review of your application is required. Would apply asap given when they want to travel. If not processed by AI processing can take months.
Thanks for your response @canuck78. Which reason do you mean when you said 'reason is perfectly acceptable'. "To visit my daughter, son-in-law and 2 years old granddaughter" (This is what i currently have on their application). Or "To visit my daughter, son-in-law, 2 years old granddaughter and my newborn grandson"

Yes, both parents have visited the US. My mom has visited both Canada and US three times in the last 10 years, and my dad has visited both Canada and US two times in the last 10 years.

Last edited:

jptskt

Apr 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi @canuck78 @scylla and other senior members, would it be advisable to I mention my newborn son in the invitation letter for my parents? Or it is better to not bring him up?

Last edited:

jptskt

Apr 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
Would probably not mention pregnancy or meeting newborn.
Thanks a lot for your response canuck78. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and help a stranger. I will be submitting my parents' online application tomorrow.

Reactions: canuck78