+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unmarried Partner of International Student in Canada

tiggerstripes

Jun 8, 2009
My boyfriend (a Polish citizen) has been accepted onto a masters program at a Canadian university due to start in September this year. I am a British citizen and would like to live with him in Canada while he studies (the course is 2 years long) and also get a job while I'm there. I have looked on the Canadian embassy website, but I cannot figure out whether I will need a temporary resident visa or just a work permit. And how long does the visa and the permit last? If I need a temporary resident visa, do I need to apply for this now?

Thanks!

Tiggs

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tiggerstripes said:
My boyfriend (a Polish citizen) has been accepted onto a masters program at a Canadian university due to start in September this year. I am a British citizen and would like to live with him in Canada while he studies (the course is 2 years long) and also get a job while I'm there. I have looked on the Canadian embassy website, but I cannot figure out whether I will need a temporary resident visa or just a work permit. And how long does the visa and the permit last? If I need a temporary resident visa, do I need to apply for this now?

Thanks!

Tiggs
1. One big hurdle you would have to prove that you are a common/law couple that you have lived together for at least one year and can prove it.
2. If you are a common/law couple you can apply for a spousal open work permit on entry to Canada or at the same time he applies for TRV/study permit. As you are UK citizen, you dont require a visitor visa. (TRV)

PMM

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
tiggerstripes said:
... And how long does the visa and the permit last?
Thanks!

Tiggs
Hi Tiggs, I am a student and this advice is per my experience. Your partner's visa will be valid for 3 months longer than the duration of his study. Say, if he finishes in April 2010, visa will be until July 2010.

Your work permit, granting you can prove common law relationship per PMM's post, will be co-terminus with his study permit.