+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Underpaid Open Work Permit Application - Send new application?

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Sent out my spousal application 2 days ago along with my open work permit application. Then realized I underpaid them.

I was hoping to just send them the missing fee receipt and see if they can match it against my original application
but I was wondering if it's better to just resend the complete application, knowing the will probably return it anyway.
That way I wouldn't have to wait another 4 months - Im not worried about paying for it twice.

What do you guys think?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately, CIC is consistently inconsistent when it comes to this issue.

In the past, they would almost always return the OWP, which was sometimes devastating to the applicant as their Implied Status was wiped out. If they had lost their legal status > 90 days before that happened, they were in a real bind, since it was too late to apply for Restoration of Status.

Others, were asked to send the balance and their OWP was processed.

Lately, at least one applicant has reported that their OWP shortage was actually deducted from the RPRF that was paid and he had to pay that amount at his landing appointment. Fortunately, he was able to pay that and landed without any [other] problems.

It doesn't answer your question though.

I'd probably send a new OWP and pay the complete fee this time. The logic there is that if CIC somehow starts to process the first OWP (before they learn of the second one), they'd expect to be paid for that work...which the $100 just may cover.

Or...you could call CIC :-\

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
hmm so would you suggest sending the new OWP to Alberta or again to Mississauga? :D

The website says I should send it to Alberta if I have aleady applied for spousal, which I have - but Im sure they haven touched it yet.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MattBurnes said:
hmm so would you suggest sending the new OWP to Alberta or again to Mississauga? :D

The website says I should send it to Alberta if I have aleady applied for spousal, which I have - but Im sure they haven touched it yet.
Well...why not send it to Vegreville and include proof (perhaps a copy of the PR receipt) that you've already submitted an Inland sponsorship application. As long as the person in Alberta knows that this is NOT a regular OWP application, you should be ok.

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
PR receipt? All I have is the receipt Canada Post provided when they delivered it :) I sent it out last friday ...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, that's good too, but did you not make a copy of the receipt that you printed out for the PR fees ($1040 CAD)?