+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

undergoing Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and Medical Exam?

abraham80

May 17, 2015
Hi,

I am hopeful in trying for Canada immigration. aged 35 , Electronics & Communications Engineering graduate working on Digital Marketing (SEO).

History:
I had a benign pituitary cyst small in size removed through a transnasal surgery 13 years back. So, pituitary is not fully functional and I am undergoing Hormone Replacement Therapy. I have to take Testosterone injections every 80-90 days as well as daily thyroid and cortisol (prednisolone 5 x 1/2 tablet).

Prednisolone is classified as anti-inflammatory drug (steroid) while Testosterone is classified Anabolic steroid.

My question is, whether I (and family - married) should be even eligible for Canada PR with this condition? I read "immigration-medical-inadmissibility" page and it says "excessive burden on social or health services" is confusing. Will I hold a chance? I cannot survive without these medicines.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp

Effective December 1, 2014, the updated cost threshold is $6,387 per year. This figure is usually multiplied by five (unless the anticipated length of stay is shorter than five years or there is evidence that significant costs are likely to be incurred beyond that period, in which case the period is no more than 10 consecutive years). This results in the legislated threshold of $31,935.
For immigration purposes, they are looking to see if you are a risk to others (things like Tuberculosis), or using excessive demand. This means that the cost of treating you (prescriptions, doctor visits, etc.) is in excess of the threshold, which is currently $6,387 per year.

I looked for an example of some pricing. In 2012, Delatestryl (200mg/ml) was $120 CAD for a 5ml bottle. So, if you were injecting 1ml every two weeks, that would be 26ml/year, or around $625 dollars a year. Prednisolone is fairly inexpensive from what I've seen.

Ultimately, it boils down to cost.

abraham80

May 17, 2015
Thank you @kateg for your reply. Still, what do you think about whom (me or wife) should apply as primary applicant. Wife is a lecturer in Biotechnology, a M.Sc Biotechnology degree holder. I consulted with a consultant here in India and after hearing my medical history, they are telling it is better to apply with wife as primary applicant.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
abraham80 said:
Thank you @ kateg for your reply. Still, what do you think about whom (me or wife) should apply as primary applicant. Wife is a lecturer in Biotechnology, a M.Sc Biotechnology degree holder. I consulted with a consultant here in India and after hearing my medical history, they are telling it is better to apply with wife as primary applicant.
Stupid advice. It doesn't matter who is the Primary Applicant; you will have to undergo the exact same medical, with the exact same requirements and the exact same result if you are found medically inadmissible.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
abraham80 said:
Thank you @ kateg for your reply. Still, what do you think about whom (me or wife) should apply as primary applicant. Wife is a lecturer in Biotechnology, a M.Sc Biotechnology degree holder. I consulted with a consultant here in India and after hearing my medical history, they are telling it is better to apply with wife as primary applicant.
It won't matter. Most of the consultants are a waste of money, to be honest.

abraham80

May 17, 2015
After surgery removing the main tumor, a small non growing tumor also is there which cannot be operated. Medical discharge summery contains this information. Now, it is almost 15 years after the surgery. My endocrinologist says he will provide the medical report (as he is treating me for the past years) and the present condition. Is that enough or will the old surgery report will create problem for my application? Also, with this condition is it risky to apply as primary candidate?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
abraham80 said:
After surgery removing the main tumor, a small non growing tumor also is there which cannot be operated. Medical discharge summery contains this information. Now, it is almost 15 years after the surgery. My endocrinologist says he will provide the medical report (as he is treating me for the past years) and the present condition. Is that enough or will the old surgery report will create problem for my application? Also, with this condition is it risky to apply as primary candidate?
No one on here can really tell you if your condition will be an issue or not.

As I've already said, it DOES NOT MATTER if you are the Primary Applicant or a dependent. If you are declared medically inadmissible, the entire app will be refused regardless.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
abraham80 said:
They will perform a cost analysis. If they figure that it will cost more than $6,387 per year (over the next 5 years), or $30,000 some odd dollars, then you are medically inadmissible.