+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Under which category to apply for extension of stay?

doswel

Dec 23, 2018
Hi,
I'm a canadian citizen living in Québec, and my family (Partner and daugther) are in Canada on a Temporary Resident Permit since October. We intended to be married by now and have our Sponsorship application in, but that hasn't happened yet. We would now like to apply for an extension of their status, but I'm not sure under which category to apply.

I filled out the questions and it said that they may be eligible for either an extension on a temporary resident permit or as a visitor.

Is there any major differenece between the two?

Thanks!

doswel

Dec 23, 2018
Why are they on a TRP?
They have been in Canada since October. We applied for sponsorship in April under the wrong category (conjugual - because I'm a sailor I'm gone for periods of 6-8 weeks at a time and understood that the common-law category didn't apply for us). I brought my little family over from the states, and they were given a Visitor Record that stated that they had to leave Canada on February 20.

We would like to extend their status until ~July in order to get married and file the correct sponsorship application.

Thanks for the fast reply. I hope to apply for the extension today. Everything is pretty much ready.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
They have been in Canada since October. We applied for sponsorship in April under the wrong category (conjugual - because I'm a sailor I'm gone for periods of 6-8 weeks at a time and understood that the common-law category didn't apply for us). I brought my little family over from the states, and they were given a Visitor Record that stated that they had to leave Canada on February 20.

We would like to extend their status until ~July in order to get married and file the correct sponsorship application.

Thanks for the fast reply. I hope to apply for the extension today. Everything is pretty much ready.
So they have a normal visitor record? That is not a Temp Residence Permit a TRP is something specific in Canada for inadmissible people.

They just need to apply for a normal visitor extension then https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

doswel

Dec 23, 2018
So they have a normal visitor record? That is not a Temp Residence Permit a TRP is something specific in Canada for inadmissible people.

They just need to apply for a normal visitor extension then https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html
I guess so. Nothing on the visitor record says anything special (like temporary resident or something similar). It states that my partner cannot study, work or receive any benefits etc. and that she has to leave in February. It also states that she has to surrender the visitor record on departure / expiry. Does that mean that she has to send it somewhere when it expires?

I wasn't sure if the fact that she had this visitor record meant that their status was temporary resident.

Do you have any recommendation as to how to best prove that I (sponsor) have the means to support my family? I have a letter from my employer stating that I'm (still) holding a permanent position and bank statements from the last 12 months.

Thanks!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I guess so. Nothing on the visitor record says anything special (like temporary resident or something similar). It states that my partner cannot study, work or receive any benefits etc. and that she has to leave in February. It also states that she has to surrender the visitor record on departure / expiry. Does that mean that she has to send it somewhere when it expires?

I wasn't sure if the fact that she had this visitor record meant that their status was temporary resident.

Do you have any recommendation as to how to best prove that I (sponsor) have the means to support my family? I have a letter from my employer stating that I'm (still) holding a permanent position and bank statements from the last 12 months.

Thanks!
I think it means they need to give it to cbsa when exiting but not sure, you can also call IRCC for some guidance.

doswel

Dec 23, 2018
Thank you very much @bongoman I will make sure to talk to a border agent or call IRCC before the expiry date.

We will apply to extend our stay as visitors today.