+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Under PGWT expiring in June, need some clarification

plaindot

Mar 23, 2011
Hey everyone, new here :)
I've decided to make a new post after reading another thread (topic: URGENT: HELP! PGWP expiring in 2 months ) I can see the problem similarity between us, however I want to clarify a couple more things... because I'm at my wit's end. :(

I came to canada as a student, and I'm currently on PGWT. My PGWT is expiring on June 20 2011
I've worked in 2 different companies as graphic designer NOC 5241 in the past. One was from Oct 2009 -May 2010 for 45 hrs a week, and another was from august - sept 2010 for 40 hrs a week. From what I know, this still puts me eligible under the CEC category. Please dp correct me if I'm wrong!
Counting the ROEs, I have accumulated about 1752 hours so far, and currently I'm working in as a full-time (as in 40 hrs a week) graphic designer in a printing shop, which I've just started working since last week. If everything goes right, I reckon I'll have 1950 hours by next month.

My problem...

My employer wants me to be able to work longer with them, or permanently if possible. That means I'll have to be able to stay in Canada past June 20th. They're asking me what can they do to help me stay. They're a print/design shop in (PostNet) which is I assume is a some kind of a franchise as there's 2 in this town. They're willing to make arrangements that fits my situation (as long as it's reasonable, I assume)

I'm also still waiting to take my English Exam, because they only have limited seats last time. I'm waiting for the word from the IELTS that I can get into the May7th one (the soonest available date). I've read that it'll take another 3 weeks after the test to get my result... and they can't guarantee I'll get into the may 7th one either, which is a little worrying.

I want to know if it's possible for me to extend my work permit FIRST, and then wait until I get my English results back then apply for CEC ? Or is that just absurd?

If there's better way to go about this that doesn't require me to stop working, please let me know. Also, can my employer help me in any way?

edit: I also have a couple questions regarding "Letters of Reference" from previous employers. In the checklist, they want me to get an up-to-date letter of reference from them. Going by the description from the checklist in the cgic site, they almost sound like ROEs. How do I ask my previous employers for these letters? I'm sorry that I'm not very informed about Canadian employment laws or regulations and I've never asked about letters of reference before so I'm just trying to make sure.

I hope I have given sufficient information, if not I'll be willing to give more information, as I'm currently stuck and unsure on how to approach this situation by myself... any help or information is deeply, deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
plaindot said:
I came to canada as a student, and I'm currently on PGWT. My PGWT is expiring on June 20 2011
I've worked in 2 different companies as graphic designer NOC 5241 in the past. One was from Oct 2009 -May 2010 for 45 hrs a week, and another was from august - sept 2010 for 40 hrs a week. From what I know, this still puts me eligible under the CEC category. Please dp correct me if I'm wrong!
Counting the ROEs, I have accumulated about 1752 hours so far, and currently I'm working in as a full-time (as in 40 hrs a week) graphic designer in a printing shop, which I've just started working since last week. If everything goes right, I reckon I'll have 1950 hours by next month.
The first issue - it is not a problem that you have worked at different jobs, but you don't accumulate hours past 37.5 per week.... You still have to work a minimum of 52 weeks, full-time, at 37.5 hours (or more)... (only if If you work LESS than 37.5 hours per week, do you add up your hours). So you first have to count your weeks of employment, using your exact start and end dates... So you have a couple of months to go before you are eligible.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
plaindot said:

I want to know if it's possible for me to extend my work permit FIRST, and then wait until I get my English results back then apply for CEC ? Or is that just absurd?
It's not only possible, that's exactly what you must do. Your employer needs to obtain an LMO first - but because you were originally hired on a PGWP, they do not have to demonstrate recruitment efforts. They do need to explain this ("Originally hired under PGWPP") where the application asks for "summary of recruitment efforts". And for the question that asks if the position is temporary with intent to permanent, they need to answer "Yes."

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/ei_tfw/lmi_tfw.shtml

If your employer receives a positive LMO, then you can apply to extend your work permit. They should apply for the LMO NOW, as it can take a while to process.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
plaindot said:
edit: I also have a couple questions regarding "Letters of Reference" from previous employers. In the checklist, they want me to get an up-to-date letter of reference from them. Going by the description from the checklist in the CIC website, they almost sound like ROEs. How do I ask my previous employers for these letters? I'm sorry that I'm not very informed about Canadian emplyment laws or regulations and I've never asked about letters of reference before so I'm just trying to make sure.
First, it is a "letter of employment" - it only states the facts of your employment. (It is not the same as a letter of reference, which implies a recommendation). And it is only for the past 3 years.

You simply contact your former supervisor (phone, email) and tell them you are applying for immigration, and the application requires a letter of employment. You should give them a copy of the page from the document checklist that details the information that the letter must contain. They can write the letter themselves, but some will refer the request to a human resources department; either is OK.

If for some reason, they refuse to do it, you can write on a separate sheet of paper, explaining your effort to obtain the LOE and why you couldn't get it. (Note, they may contact the employer to verify).
Since it sounds like you have the ROE, then it shouldn't be a problem.

plaindot

Mar 23, 2011
Hello Jes, many thanks for your reply.

About my employers don't have to demonstrate a recruitment effort, did you mean the question no. 51:

Have you attempted to recruit Canadians / permanent residents for this job?
Yes (If yes, provide details of your recruitment efforts and the results.)
No (explain)

^-- Should my employer ticked 'No' and explain "Originally hired under PGWPP" there?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
plaindot said:
Hello Jes, many thanks for your reply.

About my employers don't have to demonstrate a recruitment effort, did you mean the question no. 51:

Have you attempted to recruit Canadians / permanent residents for this job?
Yes (If yes, provide details of your recruitment efforts and the results.)
No (explain)

^-- Should my employer ticked 'No' and explain "Originally hired under PGWPP" there?
Exactly!