+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Uncompleted college education days

Kunashir

Jun 23, 2022
Hello, I came to Canada with language education in 2018 and after 1 year of education, I studied at 2 different colleges. In January 2019, I got a 2-year education visa and a part-time work permit. I applied for asylum in 2020 and passed the court. In November of 2021, I got the Canadian permanent residency card. My situation is a little complicated and so I had a question. Can I apply for citizenship in november 2023 ? During this time, I never left the country.

Can a person who has dropped out of college education calculate the 1-year period while applying for citizenship? I stayed in Canada while I left college and my education visa and part-time work permit remained active.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hello, I came to Canada with language education in 2018 and after 1 year of education, I studied at 2 different colleges. In January 2019, I got a 2-year education visa and a part-time work permit. I applied for asylum in 2020 and passed the court. In November of 2021, I got the Canadian permanent residency card. My situation is a little complicated and so I had a question. Can I apply for citizenship in november 2023 ? During this time, I never left the country.

Can a person who has dropped out of college education calculate the 1-year period while applying for citizenship? I stayed in Canada while I left college and my education visa and part-time work permit remained active.
Only attorneys and people that have gone through similar situations can provide a definitive answer but if you maintained the conditions of your visa during that period, you might be able to count that period. I believe the wording used in the physical presence calculator is "authorized period" can be counted towards the residency obligations.

If you've also received a favorable decision on your PR during this period, that's another positive sign.

At what point did you receive the protected status?