+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK guy looking to join Canadian Police Force

markcoupeuk

Sep 13, 2010
Hi there, 1st post and I was just looking for some general advice really.

I am 31 years old, married with no kids and live in the UK. My dream career has been to join the police force, and I first applied back in 2007. After passing all the selection tests etc I was eventually told I had failed due to my finanical situation (i had a large amount of debt, even though this was and still is being paid off on a debt management plan which isnt an IVA or bankruptcy etc). I was told I could re-apply in 12 months time and if my debt was still being repaid they would 'look on me favourably'. Then of course the recession hit, and as everyone knows now, in the UK the police have to cut 25% of their budget and will certainly not have any large scale recruitment for the next few years at least.

A bit of a mad thought, but I have always fancied eventually emmigrating to Canada, and after doing some research can see that both the Vancouver and Toronto Police forces seem to be recruiting, but of course you need to be a canadian national.

I was just wondering how easy it would be to get over there, get a job and then apply to maybe the Vancouver police force? For the last 8 years I have been a team manager for a call centre, then a complaints department, although I was made redundant in March and for the moment just work as a call sentre advisor. I understand that only certain professions are currently required in Canada so if I did decide to take the plunge am I right in saying that I would either need to be working in one of these professions for at least 12 months, or else have a job offer in Canada? Finally I know its a difficult question, but do you think my finanical history would make either immigration or joiningthe Canadian Police difficult? Thanks for your help in advance.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
U don't need to be a citizen to join the Canadian Police Force/s, even "Landed" PRs can.

It takes about 2yrs. for the processing (joining the Police), 4 things r of paramount importance:
1. A background in Law Enforcement (the easiest is to become a Security Guard firstly).
2. Your Local & Overseas Security Clearances (yes, it'll be done again).
3. Perfect Medical & Physical condition (u'll keep updating the Meds as they r valid only for 3 months).
4. The total Expenditure for the joining process is to be borne by u.

How to obtain the PR is another ballgame though!

Good Luck!

Qorax