+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK - Canada family sponsorship

Pacifica86

Jun 12, 2012
Hi all,

I am quite early in the process of working out the best option for my application to move to Canada. Considering study visa or family sponsorship. On the latter I have an uncle (mothers brother) who is a Canadian citizen in Ontario and is prepared to sponsor me to come to canada. However, I am unsure as to whether there is an age limit as the below text from the Canadian immigration website seems contradictory particularly bullet point 2 & 3. The 2nd bullet says that you can sponsor someone if they are under 18, but the final bullet says you can sponsor someone regardless of age. I am 25 and being my uncles nephew I am not sure if he can sponsor me.

This application is for children that are adopted or to be adopted and persons who wish to be re-united with close family members in Canada. In order to use this application package, you must, with respect to the sponsor, be

1) a child he or she adopted outside Canada or intends to adopt in Canada,

2) his or her brother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter, and be an orphan, under the age of 18 and not a spouse or common-law partner,

3) his or her relative, regardless of your age, if the sponsor does not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, who is a Canadian citizen, Indian or permanent resident or whose application for permanent residence in Canada he or she could sponsor.

Also I am not sure whether it is my uncle who has to make the application or myself? There are two separate sections on the site where one is for application within Canada or application outside of Canada.

I'd be grateful for any information or advice anyone can offer me on this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does your uncle have any family (i.e. spouse, children)? Or are his parents still alive? If so, then he can't sponsor you.

He can only sponsor you if he has no other immediate relatives who are either already in Canada or who he can sponsor. This means that he can't have a spouse or common law partner, can't have kids, can't have parents that are still alive.

Pacifica86

Jun 12, 2012
scylla said:
Does your uncle have any family (i.e. spouse, children)? Or are his parents still alive? If so, then he can't sponsor you.

He can only sponsor you if he has no other immediate relatives who are either already in Canada or who he can sponsor. This means that he can't have a spouse or common law partner, can't have kids, can't have parents that are still alive.
Thanks I thought that might be the case. My uncle does have family over there so seems like this option is out the window for me. I'll have to start looking at study visas.

Thanks for your help!