+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[UK] ACRO Police Certificate: Arrested, not guilty. Will it appear?

stillill

Aug 16, 2013
As title really. I've searched here and other forums, and found conflicting information.

The application form for the certificate requests information if you've ever been "Arrested, cautioned, warned or reprimanded or been Convicted of a criminal offence" but then that "You must declare all convictions including those you believe to be spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974". I understand ACPO are a private concern, unrelated to the actual UK Police Service.

I have been arrested once in the past, and subsequently charged with ABH. I was found Not Guilty after trial. Judge said I was free to go 'without a blemish on my character'. I have never been convicted. I'm therefore confused as to why someone without a blemish on their character is asked to disclose arrests that did not result in a conviction of any description (neither caution, warning or custodial).

Will the history of my one arrest appear on an ACRO certificate? Though I understand the need for an ACRO.

Assuming it's best to put in the details, then just hope they respond with 'no trace' on the certificate?

Other forums suggest not to mention arrests that didn't result in any conviction, while still others say that even an arrest can affect the visa application. I am erring towards not mentioning my arrest, because only if I did not mention a conviction would I be in breach of the Rehabilitation and Offenders Act 1974. An arrest is no breach of any act, nor is it any measure of guilt or lack of good character.

Does the Canadian Immigration Service consider a private enterprise, charged to search police records, to be an arbiter of my good character, should they find an arrest and put it on my certificate?

What to do...

David2736

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
n/a
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Nov-2014
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
07-Nov-2014
Interview........
15-Dec-2015
I cannot answer anything else, but I do know that they ask for any activity in the past as a way of you proving who you are and to compare to their records before they decide to send anything to you.

MH_UK

Nov 2, 2012
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2013
AOR Received.
02-09-2013
Med's Request
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
21/05/2014
LANDED..........
Not yet
It'll come up as ''NO TRACE'' if you didn't have any convictions. Give them a ring and they shall be able to provide with all the details.

Shindag

Nov 8, 2013
What is the update on your
stillill said:
Will the history of my one arrest appear on an ACRO certificate? Though I understand the need for an ACRO.
Stillill, Thanks for the post... Did you apply for ACRO then ? Could you update what was the result ?

I am also in a similar situation like you and contemplating whether to mention my arrest (which did not result in conviction over 5 years ago).

Cheers.