+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. Citizen With home on PEI

bodington

May 8, 2012
My wife & I own a home on PEI. We always spend 6 consecutive months on the Island. We are at a point where we would love to spend more time on the Island. I'm a retired teacher, my wife is an artist showing at various galleries. We don't want to get on to the Canadian health plan, or pension, or anything else. We would just like to spend more than six months in Canada and from time to time go back to the U.S. to visit our grandchildren. Are there any options open to us that allows us to stay longer? Thanks, Bodington

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you really have two options.

Once you are close to the end of your six month visit, apply (within Canada) for an extension to your visit.

Alternatively, you could leave Canada at the end of the six months, cross back into the US and they try to return the same day.

Neither provides a guarantee you will be allowed to stay longer. I would go with Option #1 over Option #2.

S

sting

Go to the nearest boarder and get it extended. I think that would be the easiest way for you.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FYI, if you're in Canada more than 183 days in a year, you are a resident for tax purposes, and would need to file a tax return accordingly.

KittyAW

May 18, 2012
YorkFactory said:
FYI, if you're in Canada more than 183 days in a year, you are a resident for tax purposes, and would need to file a tax return accordingly.
Please provide an official Canadian gov reference for this statement as it NOT trivial.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KittyAW said:
Please provide an official Canadian gov reference for this statement as it NOT trivial.
It's really not that hard to find, but here you go. The 183-day rule appears not to apply if you are considered to be a resident of another country, but you can't tell the IRS that you're not a U.S. resident and then tell CRA you're not a Canadian resident, either.

But owning a home in Canada, as the OP does, and spending the majority of your time there, would make you a resident of Canada, especially if the home is available for your use at all times.