+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to intern in Montreal...

chrispy179

Nov 25, 2009
Hello,

I am an american student attending a New york state university. For my academic program I am required to complete an internship (300 hrs), for one semester. I have found a location in Montreal that would like to have me as their intern (unpaid). I would like to start in January but I am unsure on the proper visas that need to be filed. The CIC website states that foreign interns are considered workers even though they are unpaid and thus must get an LMO approved as well as a work visa in order to intern. However, it is not clear if academic internships are exempt from this. I am hoping that an LMO is not necessary because the process is lengthy and complicated.
Can anyone clear this up for me?
Thanks!

Chris

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chrispy179 said:
Hello,

I am an american student attending a New york state university. For my academic program I am required to complete an internship (300 hrs), for one semester. I have found a location in Montreal that would like to have me as their intern (unpaid). I would like to start in January but I am unsure on the proper visas that need to be filed. The CIC website states that foreign interns are considered workers even though they are unpaid and thus must get an LMO approved as well as a work visa in order to intern. However, it is not clear if academic internships are exempt from this. I am hoping that an LMO is not necessary because the process is lengthy and complicated.
Thanks!

Chris

As you are not a Canadian student, the employer has to obtain an LMO and then if it is approved, you have to obtain a work permit.

PMM

wissy

Oct 30, 2009
Hi !

I spent a year in Monteral as an exchange student, so I couldn't exactly answer to your question, but If you want to get a student visa, here are information which could be useful: http://www.gullivearth.com/en/guide/read/1184/administrative-approach-in-canada.

Good luck :)

chrispy179

Nov 25, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

chrispy179 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Chris

As you are not a Canadian student, the employer has to obtain an LMO and then if it is approved, you have to obtain a work permit.

PMM
Thanks for the response.

What is the likelyhood that the HRSDC would approve a foreign student internship?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chrispy179 said:
PMM said:
Hi

chrispy179 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Chris

PMM
Thanks for the response.

What is the likelyhood that the HRSDC would approve a foreign student internship?
Close to nil and as it in Quebec you would require a CAQ as well.

PMM

chrispy179

Nov 25, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

chrispy179 said:
PMM said:
Hi

chrispy179 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Chris

PMM
Thanks for the response.

PMM
Why would they be more unlikely to approve an unpaid skilled internship than a normal paid position? Or would both be highly unlikely?
Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chrispy179 said:
PMM said:
Hi

chrispy179 said:
PMM said:
Hi

chrispy179 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

Chris

PMM
Thanks for the response.

PMM
Why would they be more unlikely to approve an unpaid skilled internship than a normal paid position? Or would both be highly unlikely?
Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?
Thanks
Because internships are pretty popular with Canadian students and HRSDC wants to preserve those jobs for students who are in Canada.

PMM