+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for short-term ESL study

PrincesseEm

Apr 14, 2013
Good morning from snowy Calgary!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with applying for/obtaining a TRV for short term (i.e. 10 to 12 weeks) of ESL study? A study permit is not required for programs of less than 6 months but the person I would like to invite is from a country that requires a TRV to visit (Dominican Republic). 99% of Dominican TRV applications seem to be denied due to the standard "not enough ties to the country" problem and he would likely be no different if only applying for a standard TRV. But I am hoping that by having a purpose for being in Canada beyond being a tourist perhaps the IO will look favorably upon his application.

Thoughts? This is for the Santo Domingo office.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PrincesseEm said:
Good morning from snowy Calgary!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with applying for/obtaining a TRV for short term (i.e. 10 to 12 weeks) of ESL study? A study permit is not required for programs of less than 6 months but the person I would like to invite is from a country that requires a TRV to visit (Dominican Republic). 99% of Dominican TRV applications seem to be denied due to the standard "not enough ties to the country" problem and he would likely be no different if only applying for a standard TRV. But I am hoping that by having a purpose for being in Canada beyond being a tourist perhaps the IO will look favorably upon his application.

Thoughts? This is for the Santo Domingo office.
It will be difficult as the question by CHC why spend that kind of money when suitable ESL programs are available in the DR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PMM said:
Hi

It will be difficult as the question by CHC why spend that kind of money when suitable ESL programs are available in the DR.
Yeah - I agree with PMM.

The ESL course excuse makes someone look like they are extremely desperate to come to Canada.