+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV 2nd Extension request while PR is in process

CarlinaYamel

Oct 31, 2013
My PR application (my Canadian resident husband is sponsoring me; we are applying Inland) was received on Feb 24, 2015 and it started to been processed on May 4, 2015 (status on cic website). I'm on a multiple TRV visa which got extended for a year until Feb 2nd, 2016.

I plan to request another extension on January 2016 but I have some questions:

Do I have to submit the same application I did for my first extension? Is there a difference when you're applying for the second time?

Is there anyway I can apply for a work permit with my second extension? My first extension letter says "UNLESS AUTHORIZED, PROHIBITED FROM ENGAGING IN EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA.

I will appreciate any guidance on this situation.

Thanks!

Oak

Aug 20, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
Med's Request
21-06-2015
Med's Done....
26-06-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
04-09-2015
CarlinaYamel said:
My PR application (my Canadian resident husband is sponsoring me; we are applying Inland) was received on Feb 24, 2015 and it started to been processed on May 4, 2015 (status on cic website). I'm on a multiple TRV visa which got extended for a year until Feb 2nd, 2016.

I plan to request another extension on January 2016 but I have some questions:

Do I have to submit the same application I did for my first extension? Is there a difference when you're applying for the second time?

Is there anyway I can apply for a work permit with my second extension? My first extension letter says "UNLESS AUTHORIZED, PROHIBITED FROM ENGAGING IN EMPLOYMENT IN CANADA.

I will appreciate any guidance on this situation.

Thanks!
Hi,

Did you include an application of Open Work Permit when you send in your PR application?

1. If yes, you are under "IMPLIED STATUS" now, which means a legal status to stay in Canada until you receive an answer on the visa you applied. You don't have to do anything.

2. If you did not, then you will have to apply for another extension. The reason for extending should be that you are awaiting PR approval, something along this line.

3. If you have to apply for another extension, you can only apply for a work permit if you can find an employer who is willing to sponsor you.

Good luck and take care.

CarlinaYamel

Oct 31, 2013
I did not include an Open Work Permit request on my PR application because I didn't know I could. I guess I would have to request another extension.

Thank you for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oak said:
3. If you have to apply for another extension, you can only apply for a work permit if you can find an employer who is willing to sponsor you.
Incorrect. A person can submit an OWP app at any point during the inland process as long as they have valid status.

CarlinaYamel said:
I did not include an Open Work Permit request on my PR application because I didn't know I could. I guess I would have to request another extension.

Thank you for your help!
Apply for the OWP now. It is taking around 4 months to be issued, so you should have it in your hands before your current visitor status expires in February. If the OWP hasn't been approved by the end of January, apply online to extend your stay as a visitor just to cover your bases.