+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRICKY QUESTION: IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, HOW MANY YEARS OF SKILLED WORK EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE? (...), AND IN ONLY ONE OCCUPATION.

Mar 10, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I am creating a profile for Express Entry. Answering the questionnaire to "find out if you're eligible to apply", I came across the following question: "In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation". I do not understand what the question means by "and in only one occupation".

This is my situation:

-I worked at company A from September-01-2016 to January-31-2016 (1 year and 5 months) on activities related to NOC 4163 (type A).

-After company A, I worked at company B from June-27-2016 to March-31-2020 (3 years and 10 months) on activities related to NOC 1112 (type A).

If I add the time I worked at companies A and B, I would get 5 years and 3 months.

The system allows me to choose among the following options:

-none
-Less than One
-Two to Three
-Four to Five
-Six or more

Could you please advise me what option to choose?:

1. Four to Five: taking into account work experiences at companies A and B (5 years and 3 months).

2. Two to Three: taking into account only work experience at company B (3 years and 10 months).

Thank you kindly for your help on this matter. Your reply will be appreciated. Kindly provide your valuable comments.

Best,

ProjectCanada 2022

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am creating a profile for Express Entry. Answering the questionnaire to "find out if you're eligible to apply", I came across the following question: "In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation". I do not understand what the question means by "and in only one occupation".

This is my situation:

-I worked at company A from September-01-2016 to January-31-2016 (1 year and 5 months) on activities related to NOC 4163 (type A).

-After company A, I worked at company B from June-27-2016 to March-31-2020 (3 years and 10 months) on activities related to NOC 1112 (type A).

If I add the time I worked at companies A and B, I would get 5 years and 3 months.

The system allows me to choose among the following options:

-none
-Less than One
-Two to Three
-Four to Five
-Six or more

Could you please advise me what option to choose?:

1. Four to Five: taking into account work experiences at companies A and B (5 years and 3 months).

2. Two to Three: taking into account only work experience at company B (3 years and 10 months).

Thank you kindly for your help on this matter. Your reply will be appreciated. Kindly provide your valuable comments.

Best,

ProjectCanada 2022
1 occupation refers to 1 NOC. You cannot combine work experience under different NOCs.