+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tricky: 178 days absence, do I still need the Police Certificate?

zsy54531

Nov 27, 2013
I know CIC's website says: Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate.

My problem is when I printed out the calculator, one of the absence trips within four years was calculated as zero, not sure why.

If calculated this way, I have been absent for 178 days which is very close to 183, though I have been advised to still obtain the police certificate just to be safe.

And if we include the two more absent trips which was calculated zero (one within 4 years and one beyond), it will be 195 days.

So do I need the police certificate or not? Seems like the calculator and the 4 year policy are contradictory...
I really don't want the application to be returned again.

Thank you so much in advance for your kind answer.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I know CIC's website says: Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate.

My problem is when I printed out the calculator, one of the absence trips within four years was calculated as zero, not sure why.

If calculated this way, I have been absent for 178 days which is very close to 183, though I have been advised to still obtain the police certificate just to be safe.

And if we include the two more absent trips which was calculated zero (one within 4 years and one beyond), it will be 195 days.

So do I need the police certificate or not? Seems like the calculator and the 4 year policy are contradictory...
I really don't want the application to be returned again.

Thank you so much in advance for your kind answer.
Don't use the physical presence calculator to determine the 183 day rule for police certificates. Instead count the days yourself. And it seems that based on your own count you are beyond 183 days in that country, so you need a police certificate.

For example, for the calculator, the day of departure and arrival does not count as an absence. Still you most likely were in the country of destination during these days already, so you have to count them for the 183 rule. At least there is nothing in any IRCC manual that says that these days don't count for the PCC rule.

Example: If you left Canada on September 7 and returned on September 9, this only counts as one day of absence from Canada (Sep 8) but you were in that other country for three days (Sep 7, Sep 8, Sep 9).

So again don't use the physical presence calculator to count those days for the PCC. Count them yourself.

You should also double check why the physical presence calculator counts absences as zero days. Possibly you misentered some dates. Unless, of course you returned after a single night abroad. In that case you have zero days of absence, but you still have two days in that country for the PCC rule.

Reactions: ChippyBoy