+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Canada with Non PR Partner

niashaalyssa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Hello everyone!

I (PR Holder) will be travelling (flying) with my non-PR partner to Canada (visa exempt) in a few weeks and was wondering how the process at the border would be. Do we go to two separate CBSA officers because of our difference in status or do we go to the same officer together?

Thanks!

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
If you live at the same address you can go together. The declaration form is one per family anyway.

Reactions: niashaalyssa

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Be aware that you may be asked questions about your partner's intentions in visiting Canada. Do you intend for your partner to apply for PR in Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone!

I (PR Holder) will be travelling (flying) with my non-PR partner to Canada (visa exempt) in a few weeks and was wondering how the process at the border would be. Do we go to two separate CBSA officers because of our difference in status or do we go to the same officer together?

Thanks!
You can go through the visitor line with your spouse.

niashaalyssa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Be aware that you may be asked questions about your partner's intentions in visiting Canada. Do you intend for your partner to apply for PR in Canada?
Thanks, yes I am aware that I may be asked about their intentions.

Yes, inland spousal sponsorship is something that we are considering.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks, yes I am aware that I may be asked about their intentions.

Yes, inland spousal sponsorship is something that we are considering.
Then your partner needs to look like a tourist (don't move everything to Canada in one trip) and be aware of what "dual intent" is - possibly applying for PR but complying with visitor status if it is not granted.

niashaalyssa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Then your partner needs to look like a tourist (don't move everything to Canada in one trip) and be aware of what "dual intent" is - possibly applying for PR but complying with visitor status if it is not granted.
Thanks a lot for the tips!

We for sure will comply with the visitor status if we are unsuccessful in our PR application (hoping that this won't be the case though :) ). No sense running ourselves in to trouble if we can try again via the outland route.