+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling with an expired pr card?

jasonqw1

Mar 14, 2016
I understand that I can apply for a travelling document if my PR card expires

However, since I am leaving in 2 weeks, I am afraid I might not have time to wait for the document to be approved.

So I am wondering what are my options? Can I apply for it while in outside of Canada? Or can I still try my luck and just try to enter with an expired PR card?

Thanks.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
As soon as you land at your final destination outside Canada, check the Canadian embassy and request a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) which is like a single-entry visa in your passport. Better also check the timelines on the embassy's website to make sure that you have the physical time to get the PRTD.

Don't attempt to board a plane with an expired PR, you will be denied boarding unless you other passport allows visa-free access to Canada which will allow you to board but will make the situation complicated once you land and present yourself at the Canadian border where you've got some explaining to do.

Another option is to travel to the US and drive to Canada, without a valid PR you may be able to enter but you're nevertheless will be requested to go through secondary checkup.

My recommendation: Get your PRTD...