+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Canada with a Student Visa but on a Waiting List – Need Advice!

eddy06

May 30, 2024
Hello, I’m in a situation where I would appreciate some advice. I have a valid Canadian student visa based on my admission for the August 2024 intake. However, my institution has informed me that they’ve placed me on the waiting list for the October intake due to a lack of available spots. The issue is, that I want to travel to Canada now, but I’m worried that since I don’t have a confirmed admission for October yet (just emails showing I’m on the waiting list), I might face problems with immigration upon arrival. Has anyone been in a similar situation? What should I do to avoid complications at the border? I’d appreciate any insights!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So if you don‘t have confirmed space then why come to Canada now. You cannot study or work so you will use all your funds before you start studying.

eddy06

May 30, 2024
So if you don‘t have confirmed space then why come to Canada now. You cannot study or work so you will use all your funds before you start studying.
I just want to know if there will be any problems with the immigration agents, I have my older brother in ottawa

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I just want to know if there will be any problems with the immigration agents, I have my older brother in ottawa
You may be denied entry because you have no proof that you are registered for the program so be prepared. You will want to show you have the funds to survive for months if not studying. Having a brother makes no difference. So you take your chance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm on the waitlist for October and if I go, it will be the beginning of Oct
That is not a guaranteed spot though. You will not have a valid LOA with a confirmed start date. Makes zero sense for you to travel not knowing that you have secured a spot.