+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel with expired PR card

Fifelisa

Jan 22, 2018
Hi My PR card is expired and have applied it a month ago( when I realized it was expired) would I still be able to travel cause I have a wedding to attend in Asia country in a week. I will only be staying for 8days so there's no time to apply for PRTD.
Would I be able to re-enter Canada?
Thanks!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You would not be able to board a plane destined for Canada without a valid card or PRTD so your only option would be to fly to the US and cross into Canada via land border. As a PR you are entitled to enter the country just with the new travel rules not allowed to board a plane without either card or PRTD if destination on ticket is Canada.

There are many posts on this forum asking the same question.

Fifelisa

Jan 22, 2018
You would not be able to board a plane destined for Canada without a valid card or PRTD so your only option would be to fly to the US and cross into Canada via land border. As a PR you are entitled to enter the country just with the new travel rules not allowed to board a plane without either card or PRTD if destination on ticket is Canada.

There are many posts on this forum asking the same question.
Thanks for your response but I dont have a travel visa to the US(expired couple years ago). I hold a BNO (British overseas passport) can i enter using my passport and show the officer at the boarder my expired PR card, proved of payment of the CIC PR card renewal and other canadian documents?)
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response but I dont have a travel visa to the US(expired couple years ago). I hold a BNO (British overseas passport) can i enter using my passport and show the officer at the boarder my expired PR card, proved of payment of the CIC PR card renewal and other canadian documents?)
Thanks!
To board a plane to Canada, you need either a valid PR card or a valid travel document. To board a plane to the US, you need a valid US visitor visa.

It sounds like your only option is to apply for a PRTD once you are outside of Canada. It's possible you may have to extend your trip if the PRTD isn't issued within a week.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks!
Entering Canada is fine. It's getting to Canada in the first place that will be a problem, since as mentioned you need a valid PR card or PR TD to board an airplane to Canada. If you show up at airport with neither of these, they will not even issue you the ticket.
There are really no exceptions to this other than getting a US visa and going to USA/Canada land border instead (where no PR TD is needed).