+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to USA & back to Canada with SINGLE entry TRV extension visa

savio.dcruz

Aug 3, 2013
Hello,

I am a Canadian PR card holder, My spouse is currently in Canada & has a Visitor visa extension which is a SINGLE entry visitor visa (Temporary Resident Visa) valid until September 2015. She also has a Valid work permit for Canada valid until March 2017. My spouse PR card is currently in process.

I would like to know if my spouse can travel with me to USA (Having Valid Visa for USA) for a week and back to Canada with her Valid Canadian work permit & her SINGLE entry Visitor extension visa ?

I had contacted CBSA & CIC and no one could give me the right answer.

Thanks for your help and reply.

Regards,

Savio

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Yes, she can.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16

savio.dcruz

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks Canuck.
Website Says : You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if: you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon;

Do I need to request CIC this ?

Is there any restriction to travel only by road or Air ?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Savio

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
savio.dcruz said:
Thanks Canuck.
Website Says : You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if: you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon;

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Savio
That part of the website hasn't been updated properly to reflect the new policy that all single entry visas are to be considered multiple entry by default.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
savio.dcruz said:
You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if: you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon;

The request is made to CBSA when re-entering. There is no restriction.

screech339 said:
That part of the website hasn't been updated properly to reflect the new policy that all single entry visas are to be considered multiple entry by default.
Incorrect. All TRV applications are now automatically considered for multiple entry. However, single entry TRVs are still given and are not the same as multiple entry.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Incorrect. All TRV applications are now automatically considered for multiple entry. However, single entry TRVs are still given and are not the same as multiple entry.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=831&t=16

Why was I issued a single entry visa instead of a multiple entry visa?

All applicants who are eligible for a multiple entry visa will be issued one. However, not all applicants will be eligible for a multiple entry visa. This remains at the discretion of a visa officer. A single entry visa may be issued in cases where, for example:
•An applicant is eligible for a fee-exemption and where the purpose of entry to Canada is limited (e.g., for an official visit by a foreign national);
•An applicant is participating in a one-time special event in Canada (e.g., Pan-American Games); and/or
•Country-specific procedures or guidelines are in place and approved by CIC.

Yes, single entry visas are still given, however only to special cases, like athletics attending an sporting event like the PAM AM Games, those attending diplomatic meetings, etc etc.

In this case, the OP hasn't met the Single entry requirement listed. So in OP's case, the OP's single entry visa is considered to be multiple entry.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=417&t=16

Starting on February 6, 2014 (00:01 EST), all visa applicants will automatically be considered for a multiple entry visa. The visa officer reviewing your application may be able to give you this type of visa even if you applied for a single entry visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
screech339 said:
In this case, the OP hasn't met the Single entry requirement listed. So in OP's case, the OP's single entry visa is considered to be multiple entry.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=417&t=16

Starting on February 6, 2014 (00:01 EST), all visa applicants will automatically be considered for a multiple entry visa. The visa officer reviewing your application may be able to give you this type of visa even if you applied for a single entry visa.
Those are simply examples, not the only situations where a single entry can be issued. An officer can give anyone they want a single entry. OP's spouse was issued a single entry visa and it is NOT IN ANY WAY considered multiple entry. It states single entry, it is single entry, end of.

How you are managing to take the statement "all visa applicants will automatically be considered for a multiple entry visa" as meaning that this person's single entry TRV is actually a multiple entry is beyond me. All that statement means is that applicants will be considered for a MEV; it does not mean that they will be issued it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Those are simply examples, not the only situations where a single entry can be issued. An officer can give anyone they want a single entry. OP's spouse was issued a single entry visa and it is NOT IN ANY WAY considered multiple entry. It states single entry, it is single entry, end of.

How you are managing to take the statement "all visa applicants will automatically be considered for a multiple entry visa" as meaning that this person's single entry TRV is actually a multiple entry is beyond me. All that statement means is that applicants will be considered for a MEV; it does not mean that they will be issued it.
I could have sworn I read somewhere on some official statement that those who have currently a single entry visa before the default multiple entry visa came into play, will be treated as a multiple entry visa.

I just have to do some digging and find it.