+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to India while PR application underway (Work Permit expiring soon)

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
Hi Experts,

I have applied for PR on Oct 4. I am waiting R10, background check stage.
Currently it hasn't reached R10 (application completeness) completed stage. Basically doesnt indicate if Medical/Biometric are cleared (not updated in my profile yet).

I will be soon be applying for BOWP. My work permit expires in 3rd week of Feb 2023.
I want to travel to India in December and return at the end of January (working remotely).
Will that pose any challenges upon my return (considering I would have only 2-3 weeks left on my work permit)?

Should I carry additional documentation like BOWP and PR application acknowledgement letter etc (i.e. when questioned at the airport)?

What do experts recommend?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Experts,

I have applied for PR on Oct 4. I am waiting R10, background check stage.
Currently it hasn't reached R10 (application completeness) completed stage. Basically doesnt indicate if Medical/Biometric are cleared (not updated in my profile yet).

I will be soon be applying for BOWP. My work permit expires in 3rd week of Feb 2023.
I want to travel to India in December and return at the end of January (working remotely).
Will that pose any challenges upon my return (considering I would have only 2-3 weeks left on my work permit)?

Should I carry additional documentation like BOWP and PR application acknowledgement letter etc (i.e. when questioned at the airport)?

What do experts recommend?
You need a TRV to enter Canada. Do you have a valide TRV.

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
You need a TRV to enter Canada. Do you have a valide TRV.
I have a TRV which is valid till Feb 2030. My work permit ends on Feb 18th. I plan on traveling back to Canada on 28th Jan 2023. I am worried since my work permit expires on Feb 18 and I am returining on Jan 28. I dont yet have a BOWP in process or even the completeness check of my PR application done. So I am worried if that will give a reason for Border office to not allow me to re-enter Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a TRV which is valid till Feb 2030. My work permit ends on Feb 18th. I plan on traveling back to Canada on 28th Jan 2023. I am worried since my work permit expires on Feb 18 and I am returining on Jan 28. I dont yet have a BOWP in process or even the completeness check of my PR application done. So I am worried if that will give a reason for Border office to not allow me to re-enter Canada?
If you have a valid TRV then you are fine.

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
@Naturgrl I just noticed, my visa is a V1-Visitor visa. I had renewed my passport last year in July and when I re-applied for visa using my ongoing work permit, for some reason they gave me a V1-visitor visa. I am very confused, should the visa have been a work-visa? I do have a work permit valid till Feb 18th 2023. I plan on returning back to Canada on 24th Jan 2023.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl I just noticed, my visa is a V1-Visitor visa. I had renewed my passport last year in July and when I re-applied for visa using my ongoing work permit, for some reason they gave me a V1-visitor visa. I am very confused, should the visa have been a work-visa? I do have a work permit valid till Feb 18th 2023. I plan on returning back to Canada on 24th Jan 2023.
But what did you reapply for? You need a V1 to leave and reenter Canada so what is the issue. Your work permit is separate.

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
@Naturgrl I had applied for travel visa using my work-permit. Instead of giving me a W-1 visa they gave me a V-1 visa, which they have explained "here".
I think after July 2021, foreign workers also got V-1 visa instead of W-1.

My concern is V-1 could imply visitor visa at port of entry and the officer might question my eligibility to work as my work permit would be expiring in less than 20 days of return to Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl I had applied for travel visa using my work-permit. Instead of giving me a W-1 visa they gave me a V-1 visa, which they have explained "here".
I think after July 2021, foreign workers also got V-1 visa instead of W-1.

My concern is V-1 could imply visitor visa at port of entry and the officer might question my eligibility to work as my work permit would be expiring in less than 20 days of return to Canada.
I don’t see any issue. You have a valid TRV which is what you have to enter with at the airport. You don’t enter on a work permit.