+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translations Affidavit?

dan_t88

Mar 10, 2018
Hi everyone:

For my Express Entry application, I need to provide a few translated documents.

CIC website states that we must also provide:
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation
My translations were conducted by an ATIO Certified member. This means that he is recognized by an Ontario organization of translators and interpreters of Canada. Do I still need an affidavit?

I am confused because, after further research on this forum, it seems that back in 2005, CIC had the following sentence on this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=040&top=4

"Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit."

However, right now, this sentence no longer exists on the link and just says:
"An affidavit for a translation is a document stating that the translation is a true and accurate version of the original text. The translator swears in front of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator lives, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document."

Is the removal of that one sentence implying that all translations - even ones done by ATIO members require an affidavit?

Thanks!
Dan

smcan2014

Oct 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
06-01-2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Based on my research in this forum, you still don’t need an affidavit.

Whom did you get your documents translated by and how much did they charge?

dan_t88

Mar 10, 2018
Based on my research in this forum, you still don’t need an affidavit.

Whom did you get your documents translated by and how much did they charge?
I went on the ATIO website and searched for "Certified" members for my specific language. This brought a list of ~20 certified members. Most of them lived in Ontario and 3 were in different countries. I emailed all 17 who live in Ontario. I ended up getting quotes anywhere from $160 + HST to $450 + HST. I had 4 documents (9 pages). I ended up going with a local individual who was in mid $200 range.

https://atio.on.ca/directory/