+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit visa taking almost a year, stuck in limbo

the-sensen

Feb 5, 2024
Hi, I applied for a transit visa of less than 48 hrs since April 15th 2023; I was on my way to do some travel in the Caribbean for a few weeks for a friend anniversary, and had a connecting flight in Toronto.

It's been almost a year; they took my biometrics (October 2023), I confirmed that I submitted all my documents correctly (plane ticket, hotel reservation, letter of invitation, etc), and I've obviously since had to forget that particular trip.

This is my core issue: I am considering applying for an actual visa to visit my Canadian-born fiancé who's been coming to see me this whole time, but I am worried that if I apply for a visitor visa, that might add confusion to the processing of my active transit application.

The status reads as "Submitted", and I haven't heard anything else from CIC. Do you believe my transit visa got changed to a visitor visa process? This is absolutely not normal timing, I can't reach them even through webform (they never reply), and I am FRUSTRATED.

Any help would be great (for context, I did my undergrad in Canada and worked there post grad for about a year; lived there for about 6 years from 2007).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I applied for a transit visa of less than 48 hrs since April 15th 2023; I was on my way to do some travel in the Caribbean for a few weeks for a friend anniversary, and had a connecting flight in Toronto.

It's been almost a year; they took my biometrics (October 2023), I confirmed that I submitted all my documents correctly (plane ticket, hotel reservation, letter of invitation, etc), and I've obviously since had to forget that particular trip.

This is my core issue: I am considering applying for an actual visa to visit my Canadian-born fiancé who's been coming to see me this whole time, but I am worried that if I apply for a visitor visa, that might add confusion to the processing of my active transit application.

The status reads as "Submitted", and I haven't heard anything else from CIC. Do you believe my transit visa got changed to a visitor visa process? This is absolutely not normal timing, I can't reach them even through webform (they never reply), and I am FRUSTRATED.

Any help would be great (for context, I did my undergrad in Canada and worked there post grad for about a year; lived there for about 6 years from 2007).
That's unusual.

What county did you apply from? Anything unusual about your history in Canada?

I would ask IRCC to withdraw and apply for the TRV in a new application.

the-sensen

Feb 5, 2024
That's unusual.

What county did you apply from? Anything unusual about your history in Canada?

I would ask IRCC to withdraw and apply for the TRV in a new application.
Thanks for your reply; that’s the thing, I had a very normal stay, the most “trouble” I got into was being late on a phone payment thing once that I immediately resolved with a collection agency.

No criminal history, and i applied from Mauritania; my sister is Canadian and so is her son, and I lived in the states most of my life before that. It’s baffling.
Definitely considering your option, thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply; that’s the thing, I had a very normal stay, the most “trouble” I got into was being late on a phone payment thing once that I immediately resolved with a collection agency.

No criminal history, and i applied from Mauritania; my sister is Canadian and so is her son, and I lived in the states most of my life before that. It’s baffling.
Definitely considering your option, thank you.
And I'm assuming your history in the US is normal too.

Not sure what else to suggest. I would withdraw and reapply for the TRV.