+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferred Credits Do not count for CIC?

jorggge

Apr 5, 2013
Hi everybody,

I hope somebody could advise me to solve this issue. I graduated from college and obtained a 3-year work permit on 2009. During those 3 years I couldn't get the enough experience(1 year) on my field of study to apply for a permanent residence. As a graphic designer I worked for around 8 months in a design company and also a freelancer(which is not considered for CIC). To stay in Canada, I applied to university as a part-time student and transferred 1 course credit. Being a part-time student didn't seem to be a problem because I was given a study permit until 2016, however now that I got good job offer after completing an internship in my field I CAN NOT APPLY FOR A WORK PERMIT because I am not a full time student due to that transferred credit.
I asked the international student coordinator at my university and she practically said that there is nothing the university can do for me to obtain a work permit and that I should wait until next year and take a full semester as a full time student.
Sounds very stupid but that how it is. Also, the lawyer told me that I do not qualify to apply as a regular worker because Im a student. I don't know what to do now because I need to work to support myself and accumulate canadian experience to apply for residence....

Thanks for the replies in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In 2009 did you obtain a 3 year post graduate work permit? Or another kind of work permit? If it was a PGWP then you can never qualify for another PGWP again (regardless of what course you take). The PGWP is a one time deal only and you have used up yours.

If an employer wants to hire you now, they will have to hire you using the regular close work permit process (i.e. they will first have to obtain an approved LMO).