+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist visa

visairish

Jun 28, 2012
Hi everybody,
My boyfriend is sponsoring me as his common law partner. While we wait on the application I would like to visit Canada. I read that you can get a tourist visa for up to 6months, is this true? I'm Irish so I do not need a visa to enter the country. Do immigration decide when I get there how long I can stay? Would a letter of invitation and a document with my funds on it help to get the full 6months?
I really appreciate any help.
Thanks so much. :)

northyork_beaver

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At a point of entry, If the immigration will ask you how long you'll be stay.. just simply answer for 4 only, make sure your return ticket must be showing for 4 weeks only (then re-book your return flight later). If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada. Hope will help you this.

northyork_beaver

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At a point of entry, If the immigration will ask you how long you'll be stay.. just simply answer for 4 week only, make sure your return ticket must be showing for 4 weeks only (then re-book your return flight later). If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada. Hope will help you this.

visairish

Jun 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your help. Because I'm applying for common law sponsorship I don't want to do anything that affects that. Would saying that I'm staying for 4 weeks affect it? Also, I have flights booked for nearly 6months, should I change that?
Thanks so much

S.Clancy

Apr 30, 2012
The officer will stamp your passport or let you know how long you can stay in Canada. The period is usually six months. In some cases, the officer may limit this period to cover only the intended purpose of your visit. Ask questions if you are unsure about anything.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/arriving.asp

Hope this helps. Not 100% sure what the story is though.

visairish

Jun 28, 2012
To post something, go to the page with other peoples questions. At the top right there is a button for new topic, click that and ask your question. Hope that helps