+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tough Situation. Entering Canada from US-

Wall_e

Dec 5, 2017
Hello everyone,

I need an advice about a situation I am stuck in. I work in Manitoba on PGWP, valid till 2021. I have expired TRV. I applied TRV in Canada on June 7th but it went to the background check and today is the 48th day I have not heard from CIC. On July 10th I had to travel to back home on an urgent basis to attend a family illness. I heard from a friend that once my TRV is approved I can request cic to get the stamp from Dubai instead of Ottawa (Pakistan does not have Canadian consulate apparently). Does anyone have some info about it? I am not sure how long would it take and I wanna get back by August 15th.

Today a friend of mine suggested me to visit the US ( i have valid TRV and have visited the US twice before via border) and from there I can just cross the border with the Work permit only. How do you guys feel about it? Is that a good option. One of my trip to the US was just on Canadian study permit without TRV and I had absolutely no problem re-entering Canada but I am not sure going from Pakistan to the US and then crossing border on a work permit will create any trouble or not. Please share your views on this, your advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I need an advice about a situation I am stuck in. I work in Manitoba on PGWP, valid till 2021. I have expired TRV. I applied TRV in Canada on June 7th but it went to the background check and today is the 48th day I have not heard from CIC. On July 10th I had to travel to back home on an urgent basis to attend a family illness. I heard from a friend that once my TRV is approved I can request cic to get the stamp from Dubai instead of Ottawa (Pakistan does not have Canadian consulate apparently). Does anyone have some info about it? I am not sure how long would it take and I wanna get back by August 15th.

Today a friend of mine suggested me to visit the US ( i have valid TRV and have visited the US twice before via border) and from there I can just cross the border with the Work permit only. How do you guys feel about it? Is that a good option. One of my trip to the US was just on Canadian study permit without TRV and I had absolutely no problem re-entering Canada but I am not sure going from Pakistan to the US and then crossing border on a work permit will create any trouble or not. Please share your views on this, your advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
You'll still need an approved TRV if you re-enter from the US. You would be able to re-enter from the US using your work permit only if you were only traveling to the US and to no other country. Since you are going to Pakistan, a valid TRV is required.

Reactions: Bryanna

Wall_e

Dec 5, 2017
You'll still need an approved TRV if you re-enter from the US. You would be able to re-enter from the US using your work permit only if you were only traveling to the US and to no other country. Since you are going to Pakistan, a valid TRV is required.
Thank you Scylla for your input. It means I have only one option: wait till Trv approval and then get a stamp from Dubai? Now that I am in Pakistan, do you know how would I go about requesting CIC to get the stamp from Dubai and not from Ottawa? should I request after getting approval?. Do you have any other suggestion or advice for me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you Scylla for your input. It means I have only one option: wait till Trv approval and then get a stamp from Dubai? Now that I am in Pakistan, do you know how would I go about requesting CIC to get the stamp from Dubai and not from Ottawa? should I request after getting approval?. Do you have any other suggestion or advice for me?
I don't know how you would go about getting the stamp from Dubai. Recommend you post this question to the visitors section of the forum rather than here.