+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To sponsor my (future) spouse for PR or not?

UKTNR

Sep 4, 2017
Hello,
I am in bit of a dilemma and in need of some advice. I recently obtained my COPR (Confirmation of PR, which is set to expire beginning of February) under the Federal Skilled Workers Program and I am planning to enter Canada end of this year. I am also engaged to a US citizen who is willing to move to Canada with me.

Since he is a US citizen and doesn't require a visa, we know he can enter on a visitor visa and stay there for up to six months. Now, we are unsure how to proceed next. We are looking for the fastest route where my fiance is able to work and live with me in Canada at the same time.

So these are the options that I am currently considering:
1) We get married after we enter Canada and I apply for his PR under the inbound spouse sponsorship. I am under the impression he may qualify for an open work permit in a few months (but I am unsure what the stipulations are for that and how long the work permit can take). So can someone please elaborate on this?
2) We get married before I enter Canada but I know that I have to loop in the Immigration Office about it and they will assess his PR application and that will take several months for approval. The downside here being my CPR may expire. I would appreciate some thoughts on this option too.
3) Finally, I can work in Vancouver or Toronto and we live close to the border. Then he can live with me and work in NYC or Washington. He is willing to make the commute. But I know he can't just go back and forth across the borders for work if he enters Canada on a visitor visa. So if we do the 1st option (i.e. marry in Canada and I apply for Spouse PR), can he work in US and live with me in Canada?

Would appreciate if you guys can tell me what the quickest route would be here for the two of us. If there are any possibilities that you guys think is better suited for our situation, then please let me know. Thanks in advance :)

mel2017

Jun 29, 2017
Hello,
I am in bit of a dilemma and in need of some advice. I recently obtained my COPR (Confirmation of PR, which is set to expire beginning of February) under the Federal Skilled Workers Program and I am planning to enter Canada end of this year. I am also engaged to a US citizen who is willing to move to Canada with me.

Since he is a US citizen and doesn't require a visa, we know he can enter on a visitor visa and stay there for up to six months. Now, we are unsure how to proceed next. We are looking for the fastest route where my fiance is able to work and live with me in Canada at the same time.

So these are the options that I am currently considering:
1) We get married after we enter Canada and I apply for his PR under the inbound spouse sponsorship. I am under the impression he may qualify for an open work permit in a few months (but I am unsure what the stipulations are for that and how long the work permit can take). So can someone please elaborate on this?
2) We get married before I enter Canada but I know that I have to loop in the Immigration Office about it and they will assess his PR application and that will take several months for approval. The downside here being my CPR may expire. I would appreciate some thoughts on this option too.
3) Finally, I can work in Vancouver or Toronto and we live close to the border. Then he can live with me and work in NYC or Washington. He is willing to make the commute. But I know he can't just go back and forth across the borders for work if he enters Canada on a visitor visa. So if we do the 1st option (i.e. marry in Canada and I apply for Spouse PR), can he work in US and live with me in Canada?

Would appreciate if you guys can tell me what the quickest route would be here for the two of us. If there are any possibilities that you guys think is better suited for our situation, then please let me know. Thanks in advance :)
Hi UKTNR, Both option 1 and 3 are good options and achievable. Firstly, if you get married after moving to Canada then he moves there, you can do the inbound application and apply for a work permit while you do that. It does not take long. A friend of mine, went that route and the work permit took about three- four months to be approved. The overall PR process takes longer inbound though because even though her husband is able to work in Canada, he has not been approved PR yet and it has been around 10 months waiting. With the work permit though and living with your spouse, it really doesn't matter. Your Option 3 is not bad either, your spouse could live in Buffalo and you live in Toronto and that distance is not far at all or Vancouver and Seattle. You could live this distance until his outbound application is approved which take up to 12 months... Im 4 months in the process and waiting. It all depends on you.