+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To hold H1B and Canadian temporary work permit simultaneously

Prash

Jul 8, 2010
Hi,

I am an H-1B visa holder. My employer has an office in Canada as well. They are planning to send me to Canada in Nov'10 on Canadian work permit as my H-1B expires in Oct end.

I understand that after getting the work authorization letter from CIC, I need to get my work permit from the Immigration officer once I land in Canada.Regarding that I have the following queries:-

1) Assuming I reach Canada and get my work permit in Aug/Sep, can I go back to US and keep working there till October end (when my H-1B expires) and join the Canadian office in November.
2) Also, would it be possible for my wife to stay in Canada and find employment (with a spouse open work permit) when I am in the US.
3) And would it be possible for me to travel every week between the two countries, thus simultaneously holding both H-1B visa and Canadian temporary work permit.

Thank you for your time.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure about the Canadian side of the border but you should be fine entering the US. Apart from the expiry date on your H-1B, it's validity at anytime is tied to your job status at the company. As long as you are with the same company and only outside the US on temporary(?) assignment you should be able to enter the US. It's good to have letter from your employer on hand attesting that when travelling.

¬m2l