+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To extend my perment resident.

sagesse

Apr 30, 2009
Hi,
is any one can give me some advises what to do ,to renew my permanent resident in canada,as i been living outside the country for may years?
Thanks

M

morepower

Are u able to proof the necesary time in Canada they are asking for?
2 out of 5 years?

sagesse

Apr 30, 2009
No really,because i living there about 9 months in the row only,but during my 5 years of PR, i did go there often,but for a very short time.
Thanks

M

morepower

You need to find a way to count all these days toghether and see how many u have.
And, u probably will have a huge problem if u are not working outside Canada for a canadian company, or your spouse does...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your PR card is still valid, you can attempt going to Canada and see if you get in, look for a job, stay for 2 years without leaving Canada and then apply for a new PR card. It is possible that you would get away with it but it's not exactly allowed since you have already lost your PR status. It is also possible that the border guards would stop you on entry, question your PR status and give you a month or so to prove that you meet the residency requirements.

If your PR card is already expired, it's harder because it's unlikely that you will get into Canada and be able to apply for health care etc. with it. A PR whose card expires abroad can apply for a travel document at the embassy to get back to Canada but if you do that you have to fill out a form explaining how long you have been in Canada in the last 5 years and then you basically tell them that you have lost your PR status.

The only exceptions are if you are married to a Canadian citizen who is with you in the other country, that you have been working for a Canadian company that transferred you to another country or that your spouse who is also a PR has been working for a Canadian company and been transfered to another country.