+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips & insights on what I can do for EE? Please help.

PageT

Jul 22, 2024
Hi all,

I know I may be rushing things but I'm in a bit of a situation. Here's my background, I did my 4-year bachelor's in Pakistan, have a 1-year post-graduate Canadian grad certificate (will have another by this Sept so 1+1), and 6 years of experience as a marketing executive/technical writer back home. I'm losing points in age (33) compared to my younger peers.

With a decent IELTS (G) score of 7.5-8.5 in each category, I'll get around 450-455 points in EE but I need at least 500 to enter the pool of competitive applicants.

I'm currently based in Ontario, and here are my options:

1. I've been offered an LMIA for which I'll get 50 points (of course, this comes at a cost which I can budget for but this will bring my score to 500. I'm not sure if this is enough as the cutoff score is quite high these days.
2. I can try my luck in OINP International Student stream but I don't know if I can secure a job offer soon enough in the 3 years of WP I'll get. If I'm lucky, or by the time I do, I'll be 35 and lose out on points which will offset my age. I'm trying to be optimistic but the job market here in my field is saturated and it's leaving me hopeless.
3. I can try for PNP in a different province and field, and work with an immi. lawyer to pay for it in installments (it'll cost me more or less the same for the LMIA).

I don't know what to do, I feel like I have limited time. I'm applying for jobs on LinkedIn, trying to network as much as I can and ask for references but no luck so far.

Please advise, I'll appreciate it.

TIA.

nzkko

Star Member
May 13, 2024
You know that you paying for LMIA is illegal, right? Your employer should pay for it, not you.

PageT

Jul 22, 2024
You know that you paying for LMIA is illegal, right? Your employer should pay for it, not you.
That sounds about right, I think I'm being duped. I think I should opt for PNP or hope that something in OINP gets me through.