+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time outside Canada - Qualifying work Experience

raqon609

Oct 12, 2022
Hello everyone,

I have a question about how the Canadian work experience is counted.

I received an ITA based on a 2-years of Canadian work experience, however during these two years I worked in my homecountry for about 70 days. Once I subtract (not include these) 70 days from 730 days, I don't qualify for 2-years of work experience anymore, thus my application will be rejected. However, I have heard that IRCC will count 2-weeks of time abroad (14 days - 28 in total in my case) as vacation. In that case those 70 days abroad can be included as 28 days of vacation. Is this true? I read the statement below a few times but didn't really understand if I can include these 70 days as 14+14 days or not. The statement I have seen is this one:

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (for example, a 2-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience). An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (that is, work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience). While officers will account for a reasonable period of vacation time in calculating the period of qualifying work experience in Canada, each application is considered on its own merits with a final decision based on a review of all the information available to the officer at the time of decision.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

I'd really appreciate your insights and help! Thank you!